The Ethics on Map Ranking and Comments.

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Sorry, but it IS possible to be "correct" when it comes to historical and geographical accuracy.

I do not, like certain people, resort to using language such as "your map looks like a lump of pooh".

I ALWAYS base my criticisms on the basis of "Your map would be more accurate if you drew border X between country Y and sea zone Z" or whatever. This is not unwarrented abuse, it is genuine advice offered in all good faith because I assume (apparently incorrectly) that other people are as passionate about making maps as technically accurate as I am.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:12 pm

That accuracy is only in your mind. Half of your 'suggestions' demonstrate your own bias because the name thats attacked to these territories are formed mostly on the basis of game playability factors and the name attributed to them is only an indication of one of many "possible" names that could be given.
Sometimes the name of the territory demonstrates only an important city or battle location. But you always have your own bias which is fine, but the problem is your not looking at the larger picture and sometimes your definition of historical accuracy is not in the cards for the issues regarding why the map was designed the way it was.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Imperious leader wrote:That accuracy is only in your mind. Half of your 'suggestions' demonstrate your own bias because the name thats attacked to these territories are formed mostly on the basis of game playability factors and the name attributed to them is only an indication of one of many "possible" names that could be given.
Sometimes the name of the territory demonstrates only an important city or battle location. But you always have your own bias which is fine, but the problem is your not looking at the larger picture and sometimes your definition of historical accuracy is not in the cards for the issues regarding why the map was designed the way it was.
Sigh, that's a load of supersillious drivel even for you, IL.

I NEVER name territories after cities or battles precisely because I ALWAYS look at the big picture. :roll:

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Flashman wrote:Sorry, but it IS possible to be "correct" when it comes to historical and geographical accuracy.

I do not, like certain people, resort to using language such as "your map looks like a lump of pooh".

I ALWAYS base my criticisms on the basis of "Your map would be more accurate if you drew border X between country Y and sea zone Z" or whatever. This is not unwarrented abuse, it is genuine advice offered in all good faith because I assume (apparently incorrectly) that other people are as passionate about making maps as technically accurate as I am.
Criticism is good, but the method you are using to criticize is not good. You are not pointing out mistakes in game playing functioning entities. Instead from what I have read of your posts, you keep repeating the same things. It is not as if these things are major things. They are names of terriorities and/or the circular things used to mark a capital. They have no effect on game play. Please justify how names on areas/zones have an inpact on the actual game.

If someone wants comments then by all means provide. However you need to be aware how you are doing it.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:48 am

I NEVER name territories after cities or battles precisely because I ALWAYS look at the big picture.
You never look at the big picture... you only look at Rio De Oro. .... (e.g.Meaning stupid details that have no meaning to any aspect of the design).

The big picture is whatever purpose the designer had in mind when he made the map. It is not "your" big picture. If you read the rules it would help you see why the map was drafted the way it was. Its like reading a book by looking the pictures.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
I NEVER name territories after cities or battles precisely because I ALWAYS look at the big picture.
You never look at the big picture... you only look at Rio De Oro. .... (e.g.Meaning stupid details that have no meaning to any aspect of the design).

The big picture is whatever purpose the designer had in mind when he made the map. It is not "your" big picture. If you read the rules it would help you see why the map was drafted the way it was. Its like reading a book by looking the pictures.
About 95% of the errors I point out in other people's maps are not due to deliberate design, but sloppy research. Most of them are the result of simply copying official A&A maps and so reproducing the errors featured in them. So they are not a question of "my big picture" over someone else's, they are a matter of pointing out clear and easily correctible mistakes.

Gah, you were so much more fun to fight with when you were a mere youth:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/synthemesc/ ... llyboy.jpg

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:38 pm

About 95% of the errors I point out in other people's maps are not due to deliberate design, but sloppy research.
more like 5% error rate because you male claims on the names of territories which themselves comprise of 'unofficial' carvings of territories due to game purposes of which you have no understanding. Those territories can have any number of names because they don't represent anything other than a name.

The control of specific territories may also be done incorrectly for a purpose as to allow additional scenarios of other dates or even to allow some more interesting game play in unique areas ( e.g. Italian east Africa..etc).

Plus it doesn't matter about garbage countries like Rio de Oro because nobody cares. If it was left off the map or in the wrong place .... it still doesn't matter because its a game anyway and not a credible historical representation at least at the level of its standard rules.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:32 pm

more like 5% error rate because you male claims on the names of territories which themselves comprise of 'unofficial' carvings of territories due to game purposes of which you have no understanding. Those territories can have any number of names because they don't represent anything other than a name.

IL at his carpet-chewing best, there.

Scene: The skies over Rio de Oro

Captain Imperious Leader and his no. 2 Nuclear are flying their B-26 round in circles. They are clearly lost, but neither wants to admit as much.

IL: Hey, Nuke, isn't it time we dropped our bomb load? We should be over the Reich by now, surely.
N: But isn't that desert down there? There isn't a desert within a hundred miles of Berlin.
IL: Who cares? We've been flying for 3 hours, so we must be near enough.
N: But it looks like, yes, it's Rio de Oro! Why waste bombs on a garbage territory like that. Besides, since our boys went in last year it's been on our side.
IL: So? We're Americans; dropping bombs on countries we couldn't point out on a map is our national sport!
N: Are you sure it's OK to bomb a country that's coloured neutral white?
IL: Remember when we flattened Ethiopia? That was coloured mauve for interesting gameplay purposes, and we decided to go ahead and bomb the place anyway. Y'know, I just wish sometimes that the world was square and divided up like a chessboard so we didn't have to worry about all these squiggly lines and confusing names and colours.
N: You should retire back to your beach house in The Southern West-East Rockies American combat zone, and take some long swims in sea zone 13.
IL: Don't be so soulless, AAF5743. Things have names for a good reason. So use them. And be accurate. Do it properly. Show a bit of professionalism by doing some thorough research. My God, I'm beginning to sound like Flashman!
N: You really do need to retire. Please. Do us all a favour.

IL dons parachute and jumps out, landing awkwardly in the middle of the desert. And nothing is ever heard of him again. Except for the sound of strangular yells.