Map Dimensions -- Am I getting this right?

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
SecretAgentMan

Map Dimensions -- Am I getting this right?

Post by SecretAgentMan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Hello all. It's been a while, but I've checked in and enjoyed the threads. Last time I was here I was working on a custom A&A map and pieces. The map had me stumped for a year or so until I finally decided to give up on computer-generating it and just hand-paint it. (Sorry, Elbowmaster, your maps are fantastic, but they won't allow me to use the size of units I want). I'm still working on the plan, gathering and pricing component sources and such. Now only one decision must be made in order to swing the entire behemoth into action. The decision is the size/scale of the game pieces and their I'm trying to decide on the scale of pieces and the map size. Here are my calculations from my notebook -- I was hoping someone could read them and comment if they sound about right.

To go with large or medium scale, you will need 3" (9" square) bases for each tank and for an industrial complex. Aircraft will need 2.5" bases (which is pushing it for Bombers that really should have 3" bases at large scale). Infantry will need 1.5" bases, which is 2.25" square (which is also pushing it for large stands like figures crouching or prone). Still, fitting one of each like tiles you need 32.75" square, about 5.7" x 5.7." To triple the space for 3 of each unit, that's 98.25," or about 9.9" x 9.9", Allowing another 32.75" square, so that the area looks like the representation of a country rather than a parking lot, that's 131 square inches, or about 11.5" x 11.5" That's just Germany. Assume Britan, Southern Europe, Western Europe, and Ukraine will all need at least that much area, and that Spain/Portugal will have to look proportionate, that's 786" square for Europe, or 28" x 28". Assume North America, the North Atlantic, South America, the South Atlantic, and Africa are each the area of Europe, that's 4,716 square, or about 68" x 68". Assume Asia and the Pacific are each three times the area of Europe, and that a sea zone equal to Europe's size goes under asia, that's 10,218 square inches, an area of 101" x 101," or roughly 8' x 8'. Make that a rectangle and it's 4' x 12'.

Thanks for any input!

elbowmaster

Re: Map Dimensions -- Am I getting this right?

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 am

wow, you must have a wal mart parking lot in mind for this map! can't wait to see some pics of it.

SecretAgentMan

Re: Map Dimensions -- Am I getting this right?

Post by SecretAgentMan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Elbowmaster,

I figure on a 5 x 12 foot board, cut into six sections 2.5 by 4 for transportation. I was just wondering if my general sizing calculations are right, given the base sizes I'm using.