My Map

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
AC

Post by AC » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 am

What's that thing in the centre of Australia Flashman?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:25 pm

AC wrote:What's that thing in the centre of Australia Flashman?
'Tis the Lord Humungus, Warrior of the Wasteland, Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla.

AC

Post by AC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:30 am

Ok fair enough.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Incidentally, as you're in Australia I was wondering what you think of my placing Australia and the British Pacific islands under U.S. control. As far as I'm aware this is the first time anyone has done this, but if you know about MacArthur's SWP command it is not unhistorical and it does solve some game balance problems. Of course it can only be applied to a map starting in Summer 1942 (one of the reasons I chose Summer rather than Spring as my start date).

AC

Post by AC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:52 pm

Flashman wrote:Incidentally, as you're in Australia I was wondering what you think of my placing Australia and the British Pacific islands under U.S. control. As far as I'm aware this is the first time anyone has done this, but if you know about MacArthur's SWP command it is not unhistorical and it does solve some game balance problems. Of course it can only be applied to a map starting in Summer 1942 (one of the reasons I chose Summer rather than Spring as my start date).
I think it's a good idea and I believe it is more historically accurate as long as it is not before 1942 as you have stated. Yeah I'm aware that MacArthur had his base of operations here and after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour Australia became more concerned with Japan than Germany anyway due to the fear of possible invasion.

I'm not syure if you're aware but Japanese midget submarines actually made all the way to Sydney Harbour and Darwin in the Northern Territory was bombed by Japanese aircraft.

I'm rambling but in short, in 1942 Australia looked more toward the US to assist rather than Britain as Britain couldn't divert its resources from the war in Europe at the time understandably.

I agree with what you are doing it makes a lot of sense.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 pm

Yes, that's why I think the game is more balanced this way. For Britain Australia is a far away sideshow; for the Yanks it 's a vital staging point towards the Phillipines and Japan. More so because I made Sydney a US Victory City with a (limited capacity) industrial complex.

I know a bit about this as my father was in the RN fleet air arm and was stationed in Sydney and Darwin during the war. You couldn't tell HIM that we abandoned the Aussies... :wink: