My Global 1940 Map

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Most Holy

Re: My Global 1940 Map

Post by Most Holy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Awesome map dude. Nice work. I looked into covering my global table with plexiglass and found the price very prohibitive. Well over $150. So I got the idea to keep an eye on a local siding and windows replacement company who frequently put windows and doors that they take out of old places and leave them roadside for free to deter their dumping costs. After about a month of my stalking they put out a patio door that was the perfect size. I took it home, stripped off the hardware and separated the double panel of glass and had the perfect top. I prefer glass as we used to play on a piece of plexiglas but after years of use it got pretty scratched up.
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:48 am

Scarapis wrote:
RyGuy wrote:
Scarapis wrote:so this map is only 2' x 4' ? at first I thought it was like 4' x 8' or 3' x 6' at the least, as it goes i'm gonna work on making me a map of 4' x 8' in size.
The whole game board 8' x 4' feet. The actual map itself is more like 46" x 86" due to my border area. I believe you are thinking of my acrylic panels that are 2' x 4', of which I have 4, totaling 8' x 4'.

Ahhh ok, thought it looked bigger then 2 x 4 just saw you said you used 2 x 4 acrylic panels and thought it was only that big, but even at that size units are squished in still?
The only place where I did feel cramped was in Europe, but once Barbarossa starts it clears up no problem. I think it's hard to make a map big enough where Europe won't feel cramped at all. Of course it was made more cramped bt my choices in Major complexes, air bases, and naval bases. If you use the cardboard cutouts that come with Global 1940 I bet you wouldn't feel cramped at all with a map my size.

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 am

Most Holy wrote:Awesome map dude. Nice work. I looked into covering my global table with plexiglass and found the price very prohibitive. Well over $150. So I got the idea to keep an eye on a local siding and windows replacement company who frequently put windows and doors that they take out of old places and leave them roadside for free to deter their dumping costs. After about a month of my stalking they put out a patio door that was the perfect size. I took it home, stripped off the hardware and separated the double panel of glass and had the perfect top. I prefer glass as we used to play on a piece of plexiglas but after years of use it got pretty scratched up.
Thanks! :D I would have preferred glass myself since it's more solid, but it would have been more expensive (except if you did what you did :) ), and it would have been more difficult to find in the size I need.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:47 am

Looks like a very nice map. and you are fortunate that you have the space for it to be set up on what I assume to be a fairly permanent basis.

For my large game, I am using my Red Japanese units from the early 1st edition Pacific set, with additional units that I got from Hasbro before they clamped down on selling additional pieces, along with a bunch that I got from Historical Board Gaming. I am using the pumpkin-colored Japanese pieces for the Italians, as I need more naval units than the game has for the Italians. I am using my Anniversary game Italians for some of the minor powers, Xeno Game units for China and some of the other minor powers, and Pro-Allied and Neutral Units for the Netherlands East Indies and Finland. I am supplementing the French pieces with units from the Attack game, which has a nice set of dark blue units that are not too bad with the French, and some light blue units from Historical Board Gaming. I am using some white Attack artillery units for coast artillery, which cannot be moved.

I have maybe 20 or so various A&A games, so I have plenty of German, UK, US, and USSR units, and the odd color Japanese. I am using the ME-109 fighters for Germany, the P-38 Lightnings for US land fighters, and for a start, the Hellcats from the 1st edition Pacific game for the carriers. When I run out of Hellcats, I will be using the Corsairs from Historical Board Gaming. Classic transports for the US and UK will be used as specialized Tank Landing Ships for landing tanks in an amphibious assault, one tank per transport. Regular transports will be able to land infantry and artillery, but no tanks. Standard transports will be able to transport tanks between friendly territories, but again, just one per ship. In WW2, it took between 2 and 2 1/2 times the amount of tonnage to move an armored division compared to an infantry division.

RyGuy, after looking at your map, I have a better idea as to why you might want to see my rules.

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

Timeover: I'm on my second game of Global 1940 with my friends and I love it more than any other A&A game I've played before. The more complex the rules, the more enjoyable I find it to be I think. I love Risk, but it boils down to dice rolls at the end. Dice rolls often dictate A&A as well, but it has the least effect on Global 1940 due to the size of the game and the complexity of the rules. I feel the kind of rules you're talking about sound like it would make the game even more strategic and less based on dice. Dice will always play a large roll, but minimizing their impact is one of my goals. Having supply lines for your war machine, worrying about foodstuffs for your troops and civilians, morale; things like this would be awesome. I worry about game balance though. I do not want a completely historically accurate game because I do want the Axis to be able to win. Without extensive play-testing though, it's hard to know for sure. I still need to figure out how to play the current rules first however lol. If you do figure out your rule set, I would like to see them if you're sharing.

Wittman

Post by Wittman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 am

Fantastic.
Jealous.
In a good way.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:56 am

RyGuy wrote: I do not want a completely historically accurate game because I do want the Axis to be able to win. Without extensive play-testing though, it's hard to know for sure. I still need to figure out how to play the current rules first however lol. If you do figure out your rule set, I would like to see them if you're sharing.
When we play Classic Axis and Allies during the summer games class, we always have 5 players, and many times, 5 player teams of 2 students each. Getting the three Allied players/teams to cooperate is normally not exactly easy.

In our morning World War 2 history class, there were 3 potential Axis player teams (Germany, Italy, and Japan), 5 Allied players/teams in the Pacific (The Dutch, UK-India, Australia, China, and the US), 4 major Powers in the European Theater (the US, UK-Great Britain, France, and Russia), and 6 minor Powers in the European Theater (the Netherlands, Greece, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria/Hungary, Rumania/Finland, and Poland).

I use the word potential for the Axis players as in the 1st period class, Italy decided to join the Allies when Germany did not attack Poland, but attacked Holland in conjunction with the Japanese, who attacked Borneo in the Netherlands East Indies. Russia promptly attacked Rumania, and took one-third of Germany's oil supply, as the German units were badly out of place to respond to this. When the dust of the first (and only turn settled), the Yugoslavs had taken Albania, following which the Greeks took over Yugoslavia. The Finns and Poles were waiting to see what would happen next, while the German players decided to pull back into Germany and seek an immediate armistice. Based on the players statements, it looked like the game would turn into a war of Western Europe against the Russians, while the US went all out in the Pacific against Japan. The US declared war on Japan as soon as Japan attacked the Netherlands East Indies. The Italians were going to get Croatia from Yugoslavia, as the Yugoslavs had sided with Germany, along with keeping their holdings in North Africa and Abyssinia. We figured that the Greeks would get Macedonia. Not exactly your normal A&A game.

In the second period, Italy attacked France immediately when the Italians received an additional battleship via a Random Events Card, which gave them enough firepower to take out part of the French Fleet, while they attacked the French across the Alps and took the Marseilles region in Southern France. Germany did attack Poland in this game. It is hard to say how this would have played out. Japan did attack Saigon (southern French Indo-China) on the first turn as well, so the US declared war on Japan, but not Germany or Italy.

I figure that I need to do more work tweaking the rules, along with the set up, and unit combat and costs charts. Based on Russia taking Rumania so early, I will have to work up a Turkish chart, as if Russia also takes Bulgaria, Turkey is going to be opposing Russia.

The big thing to keep in mind with the rules that I am working up is that they assume a large number of non-Axis players, who have to cooperate, not one or two people running each side. My experience is that getting a large number of players to cooperate in achieving a collective victory is not easy. If the non-Axis fail to cooperate, the Axis are probably going to either win, or at least force a draw, based on time constraints.

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 am

Looks like you have some creative students :) Sounds like the first group really made a clusterfudge of things.

Have you incorporated food supply into your game at all? I'm reading a book that just came out this year called 'The Taste of War' by Lizzie Collingham. Basically she's talking about how food dominated the way, and in many ways why, the war was fought. Pretty interesting so far. Really scaring considering the millions upon millions of people who died through starvation in WWII and how the health effects are still being felt today.