Dice – 10 sided dice

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:06 pm

The traditionaly 6 sidet dice is best.

Well, you asked.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:52 pm

Comments noted

What about 12 sided die?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Larry,

Is there anything that I can say or do to persuade you to re-consider switching from your proposed 10 sided die to a 12 sided die?

For example:

1. Converts – If we were to survey a 1,000 A&A gamers (who have played thousands of games with the traditional 6 sided die) and asked them which die (either 12 sided or 10 sided) would they have an earlier time converting to when trying to learn the new game of A-A&A? Would you be surprised that at least 70% of them would say that their preference would be a 12 sided die mostly BECAUSE the attack and defense factors of “most” units used in A-A&A are easier to relate to because most values are just doubled the value that used in the MB & AH A&A games?

2. Appearance – If we were to survey a 1,000 A&A gamers by putting a 10 sided die next to a 12 sided die, and asking them which die was “more appealing”? Would you be surprised that at least 70% of them would say that their preference is to gravitate towards the more shapelier rounded 12 sided die (as opposed to lop sided odd shape 10 sided die)… would this sway you?

3. Rolling preference - If we were to survey a 1,000 A&A gamers by putting a 10 sided die in one of their hands and a 12 sided die in their other hand, and asking them which die was “more appealing”? Would you be surprised that at least 70% of them would say that their preference is to gravitate towards the 12 sided die because it “rolls’ better in their hand and on the board (as opposed to the sharp jagged points/edges of a 10 sided die that pokes them in the palm of your hand and skips oddly when the die hits the board)…. would this sway you?

4. Cost - If the cost of a 12 sided dice were less than 10 sided dice to manufacture, would this be a factor that would sway you?

By now I know you are thinking that my above comments are starting to smell a lot of horse manure, but you can blame a guy for trying. …. BUT please do me a favor and TRULY ponder the following before making your final decision.

The main reason “WHY” you have decided to switch from the traditional 6 sided die to a larger denomination die is because you (as well as many of my colleges) have come to the conclusion that playing A-A&A with extra units on a 6 sided die is just too CROWDED (i.e. Units start to lose their identity when the attack and defense factors of each of the playing pieces are not differentiated enough. If the decision has been made to use something other than a 6 sided die, does it make sense to not “MAXIMIZE” the advantage of using a 12 sided die versus a 10 sided die?

Your loyal fan
Aaron
AxisNDallas

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:17 pm

We all all are in accord. If you make a change why not make one given two choices that cost the same and the second choice offers more identity for the pieces, an easier system to convert and memorize , and a natural progression of 6 to 12 all just seems the correct thing to do because in the long run it maximizes your options when the next project comes out. WE wont have to rebuild the wheel the next time to go from d10 to d12 as it will allready be in place. But larry has stated his directives, we can only advise and accept what finally does happen. Ill make a units list for this system just so he can have a last look at it.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:51 pm

Aaron – yes – send me a check for $5000.
Or just present such an excellent argument like the one above…
Thanks. If I convert from the d6 I’ll make em d12’s
I agree with just about everything you said.

Imperious – So you thought you’d gang up on me too. You’ll learn that I don’t make or state DIRECTIVES… I just try to find my way through this thing called life and as I move along its provided path I try to do the best I can. I'll live the directives to the guys who know exactly what they are doing. That's not me.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:06 am

nice job aaron!! or we softened him up for you ;)

information overload, hospital network down, catcha in the morning...

Zero Pilot

Post by Zero Pilot » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:28 am

Larry wrote:If I convert from the d6 I’ll make em d12’s
Goody! I like it. In the matter of The People vs. 10-sided dice... the prosecution rests it's case! 8) Well done AxisNDallas.

Although very true, a heavy "preliminary bombardment" on the subject had been lobbed by Elbowmaster, IL and others. :D ~ZP
If the enemy is in range... so are you.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:54 am

D12s rule! :)
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok