Cruisers

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Cruisers

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:59 pm

comments about cruisers...
Larry wrote:Cruisers at 7/6/2 Cost 12, bombards land at 5.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:27 am

possibly you might want to give them 2 dice rolls so they possibly could sink a BB, which, as I understand it, was they purpose in WW2...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:05 pm

No, I don’t want this special rule. I hate special rules.
But you’re right this should be looked into. I can tell you it wont be the rolling of 2 dice.
Perhaps a 2nd die roll if the first one hits. There are problems with that too. How do I know which ship scored the first hit.?

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:08 pm

Larry wrote:No, I don’t want this special rule. I hate special rules.
But you’re right this should be looked into. I can tell you it wont be the rolling of 2 dice.
Perhaps a 2nd die roll if the first one hits. There are problems with that too. How do I know which ship scored the first hit.?
true... maybe rolling Cruisers seperate...or if you get a 1 roll in their column(with at least one present in battle) you may make 2 hits with one dice(per)...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:10 pm

A ww2 cruiser had no chance against a battleship.
Remember HMS Hood against KM Bismarck.

Cruisers were not armoured with panzer-steel, as battleships was.

Only battleships can take 2 hits before they sink.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:49 pm

The hood was given the coup de grace with a Lucky Bismarck salvo. Note that most of the Japanese "battleships" were battlecruisers of british design, while many amarican Battleships were very old, and if pited against the alaska class battlecruiser ( later model ship) would probably not last . Many of these so called five minute ships were definatly a match for a modern heavy cruiser or battlecruiser. Also i point out the Sharnhorst and Genesnau are battlecruisers as well.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:06 pm

Battleships job nr. 1 was to stay afloat.
Battleships was designed for battles, they had long range big guns and was heavily armoured bouth under and over waterline.

ONLY BATTLESHIPS CAN TAKE 2 HITS.

Or maybe BB's can take 3 hits, cruisers and destroyers take 2 hits, trannies take 1 hit and subs take 5 hits (They are protected by much water, you know )
Oops, forgot :lol: (gamers often misunderstate)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:58 pm

All of this, of course, depends upon whether the new unit is a heavy cruiser or a battlecruiser. They are different ships, with different missions. Which did you have in mind, Larry?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok