Rail Road system

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:52 pm

The way its done on another game (not mine) is the SR capacity is equal to the value of the territory and each passing unit reduces this capacity by ONE in each territory you move the unit thru. Whwn the capacity of a territory is reached , then that unit has to go around from another direction untill all the rails are used in this manner.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

templeton

Post by templeton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:39 am

Larry wrote:I agree about not limiting rail movement by national ratings…
How about building rail tokens with an associated IPC cost - these can then be spent to move units - perhaps one token per unit per zone, or one unit any number of land-linked zones.

Air tokens can be attacked as opposed to the ICs during a strategic bombing raid.

Or, you have to lay a token down to show that the area has rail - and you can move a certain number of peices along a rail token before it is flipped to its 'used' side.

templeton

Post by templeton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 am

Imperious leader wrote:The way its done on another game (not mine) is the SR capacity is equal to the value of the territory and each passing unit reduces this capacity by ONE in each territory you move the unit thru.
Is that grigsby's world at war?

I love that game - kind of like the ultimate version of Axis and Allies, but far too complicated to be done as a board game due to the complex combat procedures.

Lots of nice ideas though in that game.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:55 pm

no its 15 years before that. Its from thewargame.com. Grisby must have copied that from a game that was created in 1990
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Autocad

Keep it simple

Post by Autocad » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:28 am

I agree with you 100% about simplicity.
Me too. Keep it simple.

How about the railroads already in place. (drawn on the mapboard).

You want to use it, ad 3( or whatever number of territories) to your movement.
You want to interdict, place you plane on it.

Could be a max of ten 'rail' trips per turn.

pellulo

How about...

Post by pellulo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:04 pm

...some drawn into the board, and, some roads/RR tracks introduce, onto the board, like in the old COTE game (the question begs will this allow now for a RR/Truck piece to be introduced?). Thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

Re: Rail Road system

Post by pellulo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:57 am

after all A&A Bulge game, got a truck transport system & unit, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

The Doctor

Re: Rail Road system

Post by The Doctor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Hey Larry,

I've been testing out a rail road system myself. I spotted it when looking for new house rules. Thanks to this guy: http://www.basesproduced.com/aaa.html

Each nation has a "Rail capacity" assigned to it:

Germany and Italy 4/1
Japan 2
UK and Australia 2/1
US and China 6/2
USSR 3

"Rail movement is unlimited, provided that the movement does not cross enemy-owned territory, a neutral border, or an ocean area. The Suez Canal, Panama Canal and the Turkish Straits do not block rail movement. Only units that did not move during combat movement are eligible to use rail movement. Rail movement may not be used in territory which has been captured during the combat movement portion of that turn."

We found this a fair way to move troops quickly to the front.
The Doctor