Italy

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:17 pm

This is a great site about all Italian military land units: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/Italy/italy.html

Check it out, it is quite interesting.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

GROGnads

Thanks Nuclear!

Post by GROGnads » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:02 pm

I just wanted to THANK YOU personally for presenting 'this' LINK, and to the many others that have done likewise in the past, and it is hoped, in the future too! THANKS!
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:28 am

Italy would divided into 6 zones. Sicily, Northern Italy, Rome, Naples, Southern Italy, and Sardinia. In Northern Italy is the Alps, and inbetween Rome and Naples would be a hill range. These terrian effects would increase the defensive values for Italian units and German units there.
I think Sicily, northern and southern italy and sardinia are enough. Its gonna be rather small spaces even on a 50x30 map.

However , Malta should be represented as it was a thorn in Italys side the entire war.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

The Old Soldier

Post by The Old Soldier » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:53 pm

I just wanted to add this...

I have not read all the post on this tread, so please bear with me. Many make the mistake that the Italian army was not very good. That is just not true. Italy had one of the most modern armies at the start of the war. The problem was the italian soldier was misused by his own national leaders. Do not down grade the italian army. It should be on par with great britain, exception being air and naval power.

I'll leave the rest up to you.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:07 pm

I think the only thing that might differ majorly from the other players regarding Italy is production.
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:50 pm

I believe that Italy out produced Japan when it came down to military equipment produced during the War. Japan's GDP was 25% higher than Italy, but the last time I heard, Italy used more of its GDP on Military Equipment than Japan did, thus Italy out produced or at least evenly produced just as much as Japan did during the War. And if Japan makes 30 bucks, so should Italy.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:36 pm

hmmm interesting point. Japans army, navy and air force was larger than italy and based on the territory they start out with you would have to give the edge to Japan, or Lybia, albania, and Sicily etc will have way too many IP , while Japans manchukuo, and Island territories would all be at very low values to comply. Japan perhaps used less of her gnp for military as a % but centainly the total output was larger in hardware (except tanks).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:00 am

I think adding the 3rd power is totally cool! I'm not to concerned that IPC distribution be completely acurate to the point of history... just so that the game kinda feels like WWII and remember it is still a game.

My hope for Italy is that it wont completely be the "Runt Axis Power" like Russia is the "Runt Allied power" these 2 countries will mostly likely be the last choice among a 6 player group... so If I get stuck with Italy.. I don't want to be out of the game in the first or second round... it should have as much a chance in the game as lesser power of the Allies.