Italy

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:23 am

TMTM wrote: My hope for Italy is that it wont completely be the "Runt Axis Power" like Russia is the "Runt Allied power" these 2 countries will mostly likely be the last choice among a 6 player group... so If I get stuck with Italy.. I don't want to be out of the game in the first or second round... it should have as much a chance in the game as lesser power of the Allies.
The most elegant way to deal with this is Terrain rule.

Italy, Balkans and Morocco are Mountain Terrain Territories, wich favours the Italian defenders. Each defending Italian land unit roll 6 or less (D12) as hit when in Mountain terrain.

Plus restricted movement through North Africa.
The Atlas-Mountains in Morocco and Algerie and Libyan Desert can only let so many units move through. End of the silly "Shuck" from US to Algerie, and then some "Desert Express" to Middle East, highway trough the Caucasus Mountains (5000 m) into Sovjet .
US will now need a fleet in Mediterranean if they want to have troops there.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:24 am

also if LArry is adding Fortifications then the Gustave line might come into affect.
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:58 pm

I had a thread on the AH boards about why I thought USSR should not be the poor relations of the Allies:

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=2736

Italy can only be made a viable third Axis power by being given control of Vichy French territory. This is not entirely unhistorical; Italian forces occupied Corsica and parts of South East France, and Hitler promised Mussolini the Lion's share of French North Africa (this was the main reason Franco didn't bring Spain into the war.)

This, together with control of the Mediterranean fleet, can make Italy a power worth playing, and completes the trio of localised conflicts that were merging into a world war i.e.
UK vs Italy for dominance of the Mediterranean
USSR vs Germany for control of Eastern Europe
USA vs Japan for hegemony in the Pacific

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:13 pm

That would make Italy more viable, but Vichy was generally an independent puppet nation for Germany. They had nothing to do with Italy.
If it is turned into an Italian colony that would be totally unrealistic.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:08 pm

I see Italy's role more of a throw on for a newbie player to give him an Introductory postition, small strategical focuses (Africa Mainly possibly France when Invaded or Supporting Germany with more units in the Eastern Front...). MAybe it's more but that is how I take it for now. Trying to heap cash on them is not necessarily the ticket to look at. But don't underfund them. Give them enough to fight a war, and the manpower to begin with to spread out and make their moves. Note that what I just said may not be based on my historical side but more of my gameplay. and in no way would it be a "weak", quickly killed power... just a slow and steady starter...

just a thought.

GG

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:48 pm

exactly! Italy can be played by a rookie who wont hurt the overall efforts of the team, with small individual national victory conditions to achieve, so victory can be tasted. One of the key draws is the character of play each nation elucidates, where some need some real good planning, others have more flexable strategies that may be pursued. Some nations are mainly land battles while other are naval actions and strategies that appeal to that player.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:23 am

whereas in Italy's case they get Both Land Air and Sea in a small scale to allow them a little taste of how to manage them in different situations... plus assuming they have goals close enough to achieve they won't get exsaperated compared to Vets who have the patience to develop more elaborate strategies for long term...

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:23 pm

Italy should be ranked right along with Japan. They built world famous race cars, such as Ferriers and Lamborginies. They had top notch vechical technology. I already gave the website before on how they developed a jet engine aircraft. The equipment is not bad. Also the Italians fought on the desert and heavy tanks were impractical down there. They knew that the need for lighter vechicals was needed. The Italians had great equipment just bad leaders. But since you are the leader in Axis and Allies. You should be able to lead the Italians to victory.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.