Unit Increases or

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Unit Increases or

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:07 pm

comments about Unit Increases...
larry wrote:Unit Increases – Contrary to the above effort to reduce the number of units on the board, this approach would “increase” the number of units on the board. Ships and aircraft would become cheaper to purchase. This would assure that the oceans of the world become and remain battlefields
-or
Unit Reductions - Considering the following: - Reducing the number of units that are placed on the original set up and lowering the IPC values of all the territories. This will make money more scarce. The idea is to make each unit more vital. Each loss becomes more important and each battle more significant. Each combat will be limited to 3 rounds. This will leave many of them unfinished. These unfinished battles will permit players to reinforce existing battles or retreat from them. This system already exist in Axis & Allies D-Day.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:15 pm

could this be a consideration for an option in "short" vs "long" play???

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:57 pm

I would not like to see the number of units decrease. I believe that would add more luck to the outcome and reduce the number of player options.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Lobo

Post by Lobo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:09 pm

This is probably going to be a finishing touch item, to be fixed with playtesting...

I suggest keeping IPC income were it is, and just spreading out the current income levels to the new territories being added. I like the cheaper subs idea. Alternative is limiting the number of units of a type that can be built to ensure even building.

NA Germany: Germany gets 1 free sub per round.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:35 pm

Comments noted
Interesting Idea Elbow (your post 345)
Good point Krieg
Interesting idea Lobo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:31 pm

Id say you just basically double the values to make things easier, while adding territories such as rumania, fiinland, south france, balkans, more islands, iceland, etc.

The cost of the pieces would be cheaper especally air and sea. I hate the idea of losing your entire navy while realizing that it cant ever be rebuilt unless you want to lose the game. Their has to be more naval pieces on the board at start while protection to the ships from subs and planes (by having ports).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:47 pm

Comments noted
IL – Using Ports to keep your ships safe is what I’ve got in mind. You still can attack them but its more difficult. I’m not sure about the game mechanics of this but this is the general concept. I think this is not the place to be discussing this issue however. Move this discussion to “Ports”.

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:27 am

"This would assure that the oceans of the world become and remain battlefields "

This is what I want. More Navy action!

Maybe you could have the best of 2 worlds:
"This will make money more scarce. The idea is to make each unit more vital."

On land those units are more vital but make it so you can have some awesome navy action... thus if the naval battles are long of course those land units would become more vital... because your transports/supplies are tied up in a naval battle... something like that.

Idea:

To get more navy in the water while keeping the number lands units down... you could raise the price of land units... and lower the cost of naval. There might be some wording to it.. that makes since as to why land units cost more... etc

Idea:

You could have naval income and land income some how. Only spend naval income on navy and land income on land