Convoy Boxes

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Lobo

Post by Lobo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:47 am

I actually like the convoy boxes from Pacific where players can't benefit from territories owned unless they also control the adjacent convoy zone. That's more realistic, but Europe is easier to calculate for income purposes.

Perhaps a combination of the Europe and Pacific convoy box systems would work best.

The IPC chart should include a track for helping to calculate income lost from convoy boxes. This will help keep things straight since a lot more will be going on in the AAA.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:05 am

comments noted
Something to think about Lobo...

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Actually, Lobo, under the idea I proposed earlier, you could treat AAP-style Convoy Zones and Convoy Centers identically. Rather than "controlling" the zone around an island to retain its income, the income would be subject to raiding by enemy warships and subs, up to the value of the territory each turn. So the owner of the island would collect full income for it, then have it whittled away by commerce raids.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:58 pm

I'm working on a rule for my version of AAE in which each convoy has three stages, and you must control all three to collect the income.
For example, the Italian convoy has a departure territory (Tripoli) a convoy box, and a destination territory (Rome). Forcing players to hold on to all three to collect income, along with my 20 VCs, really spreads the gameplay out.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:36 pm

Krieghund wrote:Actually, Lobo, under the idea I proposed earlier, you could treat AAP-style Convoy Zones and Convoy Centers identically. Rather than "controlling" the zone around an island to retain its income, the income would be subject to raiding by enemy warships and subs, up to the value of the territory each turn. So the owner of the island would collect full income for it, then have it whittled away by commerce raids.
We love this.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:06 pm

Comments noted
“Resource centers printed on the map”… Perhaps but I don’t think this would work well. Will think about it.

Lets keep this Convoy box simple… If an enemy sub is on it, you don’t get the stated IPC’s. from the stated territory. If you don’t control the stated territory, you don’t get the stated IPC’s

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:52 pm

Economic Naval Raid must be similar to Strategig Bombing Raid.

All subs, warships or aircrafts in a convoy-box roll a dice, and the sum of eyes are ipc loss. Just as bombers in SBR.

In the A&A Europe rule, the subs just scare the convoys, they dont sink them. In real world, subs sank almost 20 million tons merchantmen together, and warships and aircrafts sank additionaly 20 mill. tons.
This damage/ loss of resources is a bit more than the effect from strategig bombing of factories.

ENR must be more potent than SBR.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:56 pm

an ENR should be no more deadly than the SBR, it should compliment SBR and should never take away more IPC's than the total worth of the attacked Convoy Box.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler