Targeting

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Targeting

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:09 pm

comments about Targeting...
larry wrote:Targeting: In any combat situation a roll of 1 on the die will permit a player to select what enemy unit is eliminated.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:24 pm

I am not sure this is a good idea, simply because it increases the "luck factor".
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:51 pm

that was a similar enhanced rule in larrys d day game,

i liked the attacker picks selected target on a one, and a defender selects on a hit of a 2...

will this be similar...??? i liked how that worked in d day, added just a touch of excitement to the luck factor...

luck is a factor in war...the trick is to balance the skill with it...

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:53 pm

comments noted.
I'm not sure about this targeting mechanic either. If you support the idea let me know> If you don't like it let me know - explan3e your reasoning

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:33 pm

Id only like to maybe see for each unit that kills within their class , the defender must remove a corresponding unit. So infantry hits lose infantry, while armor hits defending armor. This is the same with air units . All air units hits are allways applied to air units. Perhaps artillery hits can be optional armor or infantry class units can be chosen as hits.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:56 pm

Based on "Attack" from EG

Fighters pick free target if roll is 2 or less.

Lobo

Re: Targeting

Post by Lobo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:52 pm

larry wrote:Targeting: In any combat situation a roll of 1 on the die will permit a player to select what enemy unit is eliminated.
I definately like this idea. Sure we're adding a small luck factor here but we're also reducing some of it by adding more strategic options. Anyway luck is a major factor in warfare (eg Midway).

I think this will add to the game because it gets tiresome (and doesn't make sense) that the best units always survive until the end. That doesn't happen in reality and makes for a less exciting game. The loss of a high value unit early in a battle will through both sides into disarray and make players actually think when rolling the dice. Should add real excitement. 1/10 is not too much to ask.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:56 pm

Comments noted