Aircraft Carriers and Battleships

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Aircraft Carriers and Battleships

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:11 pm

comments about Aircraft Carriers and Battleships...
larry wrote:Aircraft Carriers and Battleships require two hits to sink. They must be repaired – this is no longer automatic. To be repaired they must return to a friendly naval base or sea zone next to an IC. Damage does not cause ships to stop functioning normally.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:42 pm

This is good and i agree, id make repair on a roll of one d10 paid when the ship is in port. Id also like some nations to designate one battleship to take 3 hits and perform at higher combat values ( super battleship rule) But i know you dont like this. I would consider it a tech advance for germany, japan, and usa
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:03 pm

I disagree with the idea of repair costs being random. It interferes with the ability to plan purchases.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:16 pm

I'm just glad that the "magic repair BB" is going away, that rule was just to much to bear, even when it was to my advantage it bugged me.

Two hit capital ships is a must have, and rolling for repairs is fair enough for me.

Krieghund -
Yes, it gets in the way of planning ahead, but i've found in some games you can't always stick to a set purchase for the next turn, you must be prepared to adjust to the outcomes of the current turns battles.
Rolling for repairs is no big deal, just roll, find out what the cost is and fix it the following turn, that way you can figure it into your production goals. :)

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:21 pm

Comments noted

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:46 am

I like repairs in port.
However, I think a damaged battleship's combat strength should be reduced to 2-2. I don't like the ability to take a "free hit" in battle without some sort of immediate handicap.

It also seems logical (and historical!) that, if it takes two hits to sink a cap ship, that it should take two turns to build one.

You order a capital hull on one turn (cost 10 IPCs) and then, on any subsequent turn, you may build the hull into a finished BB or CV. The ships needn't neccessarily be built on consecutive turns.

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:15 pm

Flashman wrote:It also seems logical (and historical!) that, if it takes two hits to sink a cap ship, that it should take two turns to build one.
A one-turn, two-hit ship is more than likely the reason they're expensive. No complaints on our end..

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:19 pm

when a BB , CV or CA is hit following combat you roll on the spot so when you do infact repair the ship you allready know what it will cost. problem solved (1 d10)
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.