Retreats

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:26 pm

comments noted
/////

The Old Soldier

Post by The Old Soldier » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:01 am

I mention some of this in the point by point post, but since elbow made the stickys for each issue I will address it.

I like the idea of a parting shot. But, limited.

Armies would make a fighting withdrawl, this took place through out the history of warfare. What did in the retreating force was always mobility.

Allow only tanks, planes, and mech. infantry to take a parting shot. Also only allow them to if they have a superior number to the retreating force, I'll give you a example:

Germans defending, US attacking. After the 1st round the German decides to fall back rather than be drawn into a prolong engagement he can't win. The german has the following troops to withdrawl.
4 tanks 1 plane and 2 mech infantry along with artillery and infantry.

The US player pursue with 4 tanks 4 planes and 3 mech infantry. The US player would then recieve 4 parting shots: 3 for the planes and 1 for the mech. infantry.

Sean

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:25 am

Well how would you handle partial retreats by the attacker or defender? Say the defender retreats the "goodies" leaving infantry to get destroyed. If the attackers rolls good he should be able to take out additional hits on the retreating force, after the "screening "force is vanquashed. right?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

The Old Soldier

Post by The Old Soldier » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:49 pm

That is a very good question IL, I was thinking a retreat is a full retreat, but if it is a partial and that was allowed, then the above could still be used. Treat is if the entire army is retreating and remove hits as normal from the whole, with targeting still in use.

Sean

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Im my games i have adopted what is called "disruption" basically to simulate a units attack failing forcing a withdraw and regrouping. This is the simple "attacker retreats" or " defender retreats" that is found in nearly every classic wargame. So on combat rolls of 11-12 the unit has to retreat and take no further part in combat. Considering that combat rounds are about 3-4 and theirs now a 1 in 6 chance of retreat of any given unit it seems to simulate warfare better. Note: that on this retreat no free "parting" shot is given to either the attacker or defender and this roll only effects the unit that rolled it (cannot be reassigned to another unit).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.