Retreats

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:26 pm

kreighund writes:
Interesting. How about the idea of leaving some units behind to "cover" the retreat. These units would still get to fire, but they are automatically captured/destroyed even if sufficient hits are not made to get them all. This would allow a "partial retreat" of a sort, without leading to abuse.
That was covered in my original post but ill provide an example:

defending group of 6 infantry, 3 tanks, 1 artillery decides to retreat. They decide to attempt the retreat of 3 tanks and artillery leaving the fodder for the subsequent combat round. The attacker rolls for the new combat round against the 6 infantry, tabulating hits, while the defending 6 infantry do the same. The attacker gets lucky and nets 8 hits, so the 6 infantry are gone AND TWO out of the retreating units consisting of 3 tanks, artillery. Defender takes the artillery and one tank as loses. NOTE: those declared retreating units dont get any return fire, its the tradeoff for running away.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Right, IL, but what I was saying was that the 6 infantry are automatically killed in 1 round, whether the attacker gets 6 hits or not. This type of rule would prevent the defender from always just bleeding off big ticket items by retreating them rather than take a chance on losing them.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Zero Pilot

Post by Zero Pilot » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Larry wrote:Whichever side retreats should be penalized in that they cannot fire. Their act of retreating replaces what would normally be their dice-rolling mode.
I wasn't sure about the whole idea of allowing defenders to retreat before. Just because who, as a defender, wouldn't retreat asap? Well unless your opponent made an absolute "loony" attack. But now that you put that in there... yaaah, this I really like alot! ~ZP
If the enemy is in range... so are you.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:06 pm

No Kreighund thats not true. If the attacker gets only 4 hits, then combat with the remaining 2 infantry units occurs. Now we start anew. In this new round its even possible to declare additional retreat of say one of the two units. And you follow the same procedure. simple
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:12 pm

Imperious leader wrote:No Kreighund thats not true. If the attacker gets only 4 hits, then combat with the remaining 2 infantry units occurs. Now we start anew. In this new round its even possible to declare additional retreat of say one of the two units. And you follow the same procedure. simple
so similiar to D-Day as the germans not moving as many units out of a fighter zone in hopes of less 1 in possibilites... intersting...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:41 pm

I guess that analogy is correct, except the rule that is proposed is from a Game from jeff Stein "world war two :the war game" from 1990, not from a/a D-Day circa 2004. But it doesnt really matter as long as its simple and fits our purposes.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Yikes forgot to mention, it that game air units are called up for defensive air support from adjacent territories, and available from as early as the second round of combat ( called up on round one, arrive round two for example). If you declared retreats following a very poor round of rolling, you can send the fighters back w/o penalty. Larry wants defensive air support in the same round , so if you do again roll poorly they too are recalled back. If you choose to stay, then planes will first fight planes (bombers defend at lower values) for one round of combat first, followed on subsequent rounds of helping the ground units. Another idea was to allow only plane hits to be applied to other planes untill one sides planes are destroyed. Future combat rounds plane hits apply to ground units. I can provide examples if this is unclear..

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:36 pm

Imperious leader wrote:No Kreighund thats not true. If the attacker gets only 4 hits, then combat with the remaining 2 infantry units occurs. Now we start anew. In this new round its even possible to declare additional retreat of say one of the two units. And you follow the same procedure. simple
I know what you were saying - I was just improving on it! :P
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok