Retreats

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:44 pm

good allways improving things is progress..
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:11 am

Gees, How did this get so complicated?

I don’t think there will be such things a partial retreats… but then again why not? Perhaps I need these guys somewhere else. Hummmm How about this. A die is rolled for each unit (picked up and identified) that is being removed from a contested territory. If a certain number is rolled ( yet to be determined – probably a 2 or 3) the retreating unit is eliminated . If someone already suggested this I apologize.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:53 pm

That adds unnessary complications ( I feel). Please take out some pieces and try my proposal. You will see that it is a seamless technique that gives balance for both sides. Remember both sides can allow partial retreats so that attacking peices dont get stuck. That solves another problem from the older games... getting stuck taking a territory with nice tanks and pieces.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:24 pm

I think it can be simplified ( as i stated in another thread)........
Defender can retreat by leaving one unit behind to "cover retreating units"
But in doing so, Defender is "giving" the attacker a free throw of the dice, the only defending unit that can roll a defensive dice is the one to be left behind.
Emp:
10 German infantry sit in western europe, Britain decides to "D-Day" w. eur. with 10 infantry via trannies w/ 2 BB support shots and (new unofficial rule) 4 Bombers performing PAS (pre attack strike). the German player calls for a retreat before the dice are thrown. after all dice have been thrown by the attacker Germany has 7 surviving Infantry.
The German player may roll one defending dice for the one unit covering the retreat, the other 6 escape into Berlin. the 1 Infantry in w.eur. shits!

the other results could be that the British player wiped out all 10 German infantry in the first dice exchange! the Germna player would still get to roll one defensive shot, and wish he had decided to fight it out instead of retreating.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:40 am

Comments noted
//////

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:38 pm

I'm not convinced that there is any need to punish retreaters - a strategic withdrawal in good order is part of any worthwhile commander's repertoir.
After all people have been using strafing attacks for years, without any penalty.
Considering that, in most circumstances, the retreating force will be smaller than the enemy, it is likely to have taken more casualties anyway in the mandatory round of combat.
When playing with these rules, it's part of the game that attackers must calculate the likely hits in 1 round of combat in order to put in sufficient forces to prevent retreats being a critical factor, i.e. retreating forces joining friendly units to create a super-stack for a counter-offensive.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Comments noted
rr//////

Beast1313131

Post by Beast1313131 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:15 pm

I agree with defensive retreats but there needs to be a way to tell if it is a successful defensive withdrawal.
If the tanks succeed, then victory will follow-General Heinz Guderian 1939