Tech and National Advantages

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:32 am

My new idea is to go more for the historical approach since this was one element larry thought he wanted a lot of in the game....

Each country now has a tech calender.... it consists of several squares in left to right, top to bottom config.... some of them are "tech" squares the rest are "development" square... each development square has a given amout of money (generally from 1-5 IPC's) to advance to the next...you have one for air, one for sea, one for land,, and one for Non moving... you may advance 2 squares (either both on one or one on 2 separate tracks)... when you reach the tech you must roll the 2 numbers shown on the square... when you get that tech you can move on to the next one...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:15 pm

Comments noted
I hate tech stuff... thanks for giving this some thought anyway. Interesting ideas as well. At some point I'll get to the bottom of this and it will have some historical feel to it I assure you. It will not be a little game within a game however.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:13 pm

good job, but anything that creates accounting of sorts with prepaid research and the like will bog down the game a bit. Can you come up with a more "vanilla" style tech rule. With a natural progression, but perhaps not so random?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:43 pm

Comments noted
GreAt thread
//////

Brazashista

Post by Brazashista » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:46 am

NA
The main interest is to plunge players into a state of uncertaintly.
If there are 6 NA, choose 5 advantages or 4 +1 spy. Keep them secret and reveal them at the good time (We can use token). Each advantage has different conditions of using :
history : when it appears during WWII.
reveal : at the beginning of the game, as you want, under condition.
frequency : once per game, each turn, as you want.
advantage : what you can do.

Spy's abilities :
- reduce by 1 the roll dice for weapon development if an enemy power has acquired the Tech you desire.
- reactivate one time an advantage which is only used once per game.
- reveal 1 advantage of an enemy power. If it's a spy, he is neutralized.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Comments noted
//////

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:19 am

I think Guerilla Guy is on the right track. I never liked tech in AA and would love to see it overhauled since it really is a big component of WW2.

The idea I've always had in my head is to have a card for each technology (think a small card that will easily fit in your play area). Each card has n number of squares on it (some cards have more squares than others). You simply pay each turn to move to the next square.

When you complete the timeline of research, you are required to make a roll (of different difficulty depending on the tech). If you FAIL the roll the tech is delayed till next turn, if you PASS the roll the tech is completed this turn.

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:07 am

To d6veteran:

That is brilliant. Good thinking.
I hope Larry likes the idea.