How this game might look

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

How this game might look

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:17 pm

comments about How this game might look...
larry wrote:How this game might look
Map dim. 28x46
A roll up map with a felt like backing.
Africa, Canada, China and Russia will have additional territories
There will be new territories presented so that movement (direction) options are increased.
Considering cutting the map some ware in the Pacific Ocean and no longer cutting the US in half.
Impassable terrains to remain and possibly some more added. For example winter movement rules (soviet winter modifier) for Europe and parts of Asia. I’m not sure about this but exploring the possibility.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:19 pm

sounds great larry, larger roll up board sounds like a great additional theme to the game, im going to guess that maybe this game will come in a tube??? but maybe not...if so, the packaging could look like some top secret information tube, washed up on the shore...or, in an atache case from a secret agent...

do you envision different set ups and "time" factor games? similar to eagle, basic, intermediate, advanced play options???

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:55 pm

This all sounds good, except splitting the map in the Pacific. IMHO, this would be a mistake. I would like to see more action in the Pacific Theatre, and I think splitting the map here would create a psychological hindrance to play here. I think splitting it where it is works great, since there is little "action" there.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:49 pm

Comments noted
Elbow – different set ups and time… perhaps.
Yeah, maybe it should look like that famous German gasmask canister.

Krieg – again you sway me! It was just a wild thought I had.
Actually it was me reacting to a few comments I heard over the years. I did not agree with them then and I still don’t. I just wanted to throw it out there and see who saluted it.
It got the “finger” instead.
The basic concept of dividing the USA will remain.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:17 pm

keep the usa split...just in case there is a rule for east coast vs west coast campains and rules for having to spend money in each theatre...atlantic and pacific....

haha...gas mask tube!!! great idea!!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:01 pm

Yes we need to keep USA split like is has been. Nobody is ready for that . The idea is best from saving the board from dead space. The idea being that you can cut a sliver from each part of USA since it is the most unusable dead spot in the world from a combat perspective.Second Im not sure why the maps gonna be 28x48 instead of 50x30, the perspective is optimal at 5x3 and the extra 2 inches wont effect profit margin too much? So why you cut us 2 inches? It will hurt more vertically from 30 to 28 rather than the 48 horizontally.

A round canister is a strange packageing idea. Id like it look like a military footlocker, except the top would be made stronger so it can double as a dice roller box. It would be padded so sounds of rolling dice would be quiet in home games (wakes up babies). Make sure you have a nice big picture on the back of the box with a awesome picture of the pieces set up and people sitting around the game dressed in ww2 uniforms in a war room with sticks pointing at their latest exploits. That would be a hoot.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:38 pm

Comments noted
I have a 28 by 48 map. It certainly could be 30 x50. This is really the best size I’ve found (subjective opinion ) Bigger is not much better and actually can become a problem.

As for packaging, this is just thinking out load and believe me… it’s WAY to early to be discussing this. But map size … it’s not too early.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 am

voting no on the felt backing board, i can see it now, that board wont be too good after a beer spill or two...

my vote is for a 5 mil laminate board...10 mil would be out of the question, but 5 should work, it would be durable and able to withstand many hours of gaming...thats one thing i dont like about the standard paper boards, especially the latest ones made by avalon hill, easy to tear, thin new milenium paper by product...

THEN!!

how about that 1939 board on the back!!! two boards in one, now thats ADVANCED ;)

and get this, selling in tubes is a great idea...just think, youd find advanced axis & allies next to the doodle art ;)

I LOVE IT !!!