My advanced map design

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Defiance

Post by Defiance » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:35 pm

IL: the trade you suggested is fine! But right now I'm not at home & I don't have access at them for a few days.. I hope you can wait untill that time! I'll send them to elbow, although I recently sended him the photo background, I haven't heard from him since them if he recieved it? Elbowmaster?? help?

Eldar: Show me how you think you can make this map look better! I'll be interested in seeing it. But I'm afraid I have to side with IL on the matter: it's a photograph & the map itself will need some improvement in the text (either larger or drop shadow). But I will consider an ancient look for the boundaries of the board once it nears completion. Thanks for your kind words btw. I also think that in the end, once Larry will do something for the map design, our common results will help him tremendously in making a really good playing map this time, with very little flaws hopefully.

I must say to all of you guys that I will not continue on the map the next 20 days: I've got some really busy times ahead the coming 3 weeks. After that I'll have plenty of time again to work on the map.

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Here is a quick colour-test of mine where I have played around with the map that Defiance posted recently.
(Also I have added topographics to it.)

I would like to change the sea-zones but have not had time to do that.
Lots of stuff that could be refined on this, but here I focus on creating occre-tone colours, testing out how impassable areas
could be coloured as well as the neutral countries.

Map Submission from Defiance

Thanks again Defiance for posting your map. 8)

And yes, perhaps drop-shadows could be applied to the texts, as long as it is done in a way that gives an overall old feel to it.
I will experiment on that when I have time..

edit:

link to mega picture post -elbowmaster

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:44 pm

Nice job, Eldar!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:45 pm

yes more impressive each post, well done!!

sorry defiance, have not seen such an email...perhaps post a larger size on your website?? could then download it that way...

Defiance

Post by Defiance » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Elbow: I have no room on my website to post files larger than 2Mb currently. Besides it's not even my own website! :shock:

The file size is about 27 Mb when I make it an JPEG file. Is that sufficient to be able to send to your mailbox? Right now I'm not at home again, I'll contact you once I get home. You can post my maps on your website, I would really like that.

Eldar: Wow that's looks pretty cool. Now we have an ancient version of my map! 8) I would like to see it with some country coloring! How do you do that with photoshop?

I gotta go now folks, will talk to you guys later!

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:47 pm

excellent, email should work fine... 8)

if you have size limitation issues, perhaps consider a yahoo email account...

they have a generous 100 - 250 Meg server space...

id like to be able to visually share advancements with you folks here, as pictures say a thousand words, & in a format that im familiar with... your work will allow for that now, it is much appreciated... 8)
its also shown in eldars, & your version, inspiration to get into photoshop...both have shown highly acceptable alternatives to making maps, well done !!

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:47 pm

Hmm, I posted a faulty post as "Guest" without being logged in. :roll:
Please delete my last "guest"-post as it was supposed to look like this:

Here is a larger version of Defiance's map that I have played around with:

http://www.dare-fashion.com/Ild/AxisAll ... _Map_4.jpg

This is a thumb of the same image:

Defiance

Post by Defiance » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Larry have you taken a look at my design yet? :oops: It seems you have crossed all posts expect mine :( .....

I am wondering how you feel about the looks of the coloring/ shading of the territories.