My advanced map design

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Defiance wrote: So I think I stick with Adlertag's advice
as you wish...

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:24 pm

Since for sure Austria and maybe Chzechoslovakia are mountain terrain,
they should have their own territory.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:46 pm

I agree with your suggestions on what your doing next to improve map.
Drop Shadow is the effect you want to lift the words above the terrain, which can make them "Pop". If your so willing consider drawing the russian western territories along the same borbers as the german dec 41, nov 42, and july 43 occupation zones to create a real war perspective. This will look real cool. ( i did this very thing on my maps) It adds excitement to see that you took what germany conquered in those years. Definiatly add those new territories especially northern italy and 3 sections of France. The section at the coast line should have the lowest value, so the damm allies dont reinvade every freekin turn the same damm place just to take points away from germany. Their is nothing realistic about this strategy but it happens.

Perhaps the lines that border the interior can be "double-lines" this is more fancy. Remember names go over the IP values when you get to this part.
Also, redo your icons and use flags ( rectangle) and make them larger. In photoshop their are some icons for maps. Consider using some of them.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:25 pm

http://www.iconarchive.com/icon/tv/aust ... yModel.gif

this is the only icon for factories i found. again where is the exact site where you found the icon you used??
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Defiance

Post by Defiance » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 am

here's something I still got:

http://search.coolclips.com/coolclips/s ... T=S&D=1933

this link brings you to the industry file, and then click on the 'resources'. There you can select the 'factories and refineries'. Numerous amount of pictures. Have fun!!

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:02 am

To Defiance:

Totally excellent work!

About dropshadows for the text, they are nice looking but gives the map a very modern feel.
And I hate to see the computerage manifest too much in an historical game.
Could you in any way apply the text in a way that makes the map look as old as 1939/41 - that would be add much more atmosphere.

If the atmosphere of the map turns some 60 years back in time, then this will be the best map I have seen around!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Defiance, IF you send the exact factory image for both minor and major factories to elbow, ill give you the icons for the nations and send them to elbow so he can post them both. That way we have a trade of sorts and we all benifit. ok?

The idea of drop shadow on fonts is the only way around the fact that based on the terrain colors, some / many or the territories are rather unreadable. Either the font has to become larger, or you have to use drop shadow. It cant look like an old war room map because its clearly a satilite image from space ( a Photo) while war room maps are artists who draw the earth and colors. You see?

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:01 pm

It cant look like an old war room map because its clearly a satilite image from space ( a Photo) while war room maps are artists who draw the earth and colors. You see?
IL, I do have respect for your extensive knowledge and your excellent contributions, but you are not totally correct in that quote.
I can easily transform the map to look old, since I am both a traditional painter and a sculptor.
(My fields of preference are historical sculptures.)
- And I must admit, with all probability - a whole lot of people besides me can do that as well. :wink:

Alas, I am having a bit of shortage of spare time right now. :?
(Though, I have already done tests with transforming Defiance's map and when I am happy with the result I will post it here)

I do know some tricks to make fonts look readable without looking modern. But, it all boils down to what results people want to have.
If they want glossy computerage maps in tons of colour, then that is what they will get.

Personally, I would want to avoid the glossy and "perfect" photographic look, and aim for more war-room map esthetics.
Even if none of us was capable of producing a PERFECT 1940-map, then still that must be the aim.
Commercial-ads for kids are overfilled with colour and cool effects, but should that be the aim here?
We need to ponder this issue.

But as far as geographical correctness, Defiance's map is the best I have seen around.
Now, let's post our different ideas and inspire each other and try different approaches so we all have something to compare with.
In the end, what survives through all discussions and comparisons, will be tremendously interesting.

Thanks a lot, Defiance for the work on your map and for posting it here!