Keep it simple part 2 or the marriage of different concepts

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
The Old Soldier

Keep it simple part 2 or the marriage of different concepts

Post by The Old Soldier » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:12 am

Oddman's post about keeping it simple, with other thoughts and reactions from Krieghund and IL, got me thinking about all these different ideas. I think we all agree that we want AAR with a deeper strategy, we just disagree on what that means and how to achieve it. Some want more unit, and while I think they are not necessary at this scale, I'm not against them. Other want each nation to have thier own unit stats. Most of us want some type of terrain rules. All seem to want new naval rules. Most agree the tech tree needs to be look at hard, and some view the NAs in the same way as they view tech, it needs work. Some what a political system added. The list is long and the view are varied. :shock:

So being in the camp of keeping things simple, yet giving more options, I thought why not a marriage of many of these different ideas into one simple system. I started this idea with tech and NAs being one chart, but now think this can be expanded to include political views to a degree.

Each nation would have certain techs that act in the same manner as both NAs and Political views. Also each nation would be able in use certain branches of this Tech tree, while due to thier political views be denied others. Example National fanaticism would be Japans start and it may led to other advancements such as improved industrial output, suicidal troops, ect. While the US would start out with improved industrial output, that might branch to improved aircraft output, or improved aircraft design. This way there are many different improvements for the player to consider yet each one reflects the historical conditions of each nation. Also while giving improvement to a nation economy, many would give small advantages to different combat units. This gives different stats to the nations units without a chart with stats of each type of unit per each nation. So now you have with one large tech tree, a combination of tech, NA, politics, and unit stats per country all rolled into one. A simple chart that shows each improvement would be all you need.

Now if you combine the above with different battle board that reflext the different theatre of operations, you get a deep strategic feel without bogging down the game in the details. Naval combat would be different because of the sea board would have different system printed on the board. The other battle boards would effect the units in different ways, and yet again it might even give different combined arms advantages!!

Targeting would be handled more in that certain units must target others before they can choose others. Inf. targets Inf. Tanks target Tanks or Inf. Art. targets Art, then tanks or inf. Planes target planes then choose thier targets. This could even be handled by the battle board with different combinations for different theatres of operations, thus effectivly combining battleboards with terrain, and eliminating combine arms by giving the player different targeting options based on the battle board.

That would cover most of the items mentioned, leaving a improved game board with more varied victory objectives, neutrals added, Italy added, and a new setup with possible scenarios for different games with different objectives.

I'm sure I missed a few things that others will point out, but I think this could be a sound system and a solution to many different items.

Sean

elbowsanchez

stage 2

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:36 am

good post TOS, i agree about having a middle ground, as pointed out before as to the reason for being here...our job is to assist / be sounding boards for larry's concepts...as long as we keep the focus on that, im positive things will be more close to the ultimate axis & allies game we all yearn for...

cheers!!
-The evil Bert & friend