Dive-Bombers

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
Guerrilla Guy

Dive-Bombers

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:26 am

While the chief gets done with other projects I think we need to keep the juices flowing so this project won't lose steam... We haven't really discussed DB's...

Couple ideas to throw out there:

Targeted attacks (armor assumedly)
Capital Ship Targeting (Destroys vessel with one shot instead of 2)
May Raid Economically
May be carried on Carriers like fighters
can CAP

any others?

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Krieghund

Re: Dive-Bombers

Post by Krieghund » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 am

Guerrilla Guy wrote:Capital Ship Targeting (Destroys vessel with one shot instead of 2)
Way too powerful - targeting is powerful enough without increasing damage to targets.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Huh? where were you last summer when i tried to push the entire agenda for Dive Bombers and or Torpedo Bombers as the new "AIR" piece for advanced? I really love how old ideas get repackaged as new, while all of the sudden they are presented w/o reflection or foundation from where they came from... To find out what was discussed, look at topics posted from July-August last year.
Other units like Light Carriers,battlecruisers, cruisers, SS infantry, marines, anti- tank guns, tank destroyers, self propelled artillery, heavy artillery, torpedo bombers,fortification units, forts,jet fighters, and even commandos were also presented
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:01 pm

Never give up, Guerrilla Boy, thats the spirit.

I agree with :

1.Targeting. All aircrafts should be able to target. That is the purpose with aircrafts, they fligh over the battlefield and pick juicy targets, unlike land units who must face wathever is thrown in their way.
Many dive-bombers, like Stukas, was build for anti-tank purposes and was more effective in killing tanks and trucks than in dug-in infantry-men.

2. Combat Air Patrol. All aircrafts should be able to patrol a seazone.

3. Carried on carriers. This is great, the player must choose a strategy of leting the Carriers have Dive-bombers for attacking ships or Fighters for protection. That is if the Fighter-unit in Advanced is for dog-fights against other aircrafts, wich I hope .

I dont agree with:

1. Dive-bombers killing Battleships with only one hit.
Battleships was heavily armoured with thick panzer-plates and took a lot of beating, and during ww2 only Battleships had enough stoping-power to sink another Battleship.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Ok here we go:

Divebombers would presumably have lower combat values against planes, while in the case of say Germany and Soviets their role as close ground support would entitle them to a modifier. So for example a fighter is say at 6/8 with a range of 4, while this "divebomber" would have the same values against land targets (and perhaps sea), while fighting air units they have a 4/4 rating. This by the way would be a similiar extrapolation if bombers were involved in air combat. I estimate the cost of a fighter to be say 10, with the "divebomber " at say 8 IP

Torpedo Bombers:
These are created by USA, Japan, and perhaps UK and also get the 6/8 values and cost about 8 IP, and are the same as above but their "bonus" just goes against naval targets.

That way each nation has some unique units in the air which was in fact the character of these air forces. Some focused on naval air power, while still others being the behemoth of the land sought to develop planes for ground assaults.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:51 pm

Ok heres some easy rules for combat modifiers>

each artillery gives one matching infantry unit +1 on defense

each tank gives one infantry +1 on attack or defense

each fighter or divebomber gives one armor +1 on attacks

ok here something from one of my games...

automatic retreats:

when rolling a d12 for each unit that rolls say a 12 or 11-12 this represents a complete failure of the attack. Something like "attacker retreats" from an old avalon hill game. That way it puts a clamp on the carnage, because it may represent a tank unit thats leading the attack so the remaining pieces will fall back and combat ends. Id rather have more "skimming" off the stacks, with smaller more frequent attacks, than a huge all or nothing battle . At kursk the best SS units were repelled, but not really destroyed while trying to push around the Kursk salient. The prepared Soviet defense
was able to basically create a shield to repel Hitlers finest troops. In fact some nations could have a force retreat at 9-12 (italy), while Japan would be at say 12, Soviets at 10-12, Germans at 11-12, UK at 10-12, USA at 11-12, france at 1-12.

LOL