Building a web site.

I’m considering building (actually having built for me) a web site. I’d like your collective suggestions on how this should look. What it must have/ what it should avoid. I’m admittedly new to this planet and need your guidance
Larry

Building a web site.

Post by Larry » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:04 am

This forum has been a fun experience for me. It has allowed me to meet some really impressive people. It has also afforded me the possibility to talk about my favorite subject (Axis & Allies) in an organized and constructive manner.

I want to expand this experience and make myself and my ideas and the ideas of others available to a larger audience. I want my site to appear when you do an A&A and/or Larry Harris search.

Tell me (us) about your web site experiences and ideas. I will keep this forum running even after the web site has been built. I think I can simply place it in the new site (right?).

I want direct participation in the growth of this game franchise and the Axis & Allies community itself. Speaking of which, I really think it consist of the best and brightest of the board and computer gaming population.
Last edited by Larry on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:12 am

oh man... id say its beer:30, & will lend whatever limited assistance that can be offered...it pretty much depends how involved you want it...im sure many will jump on the offer...

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:16 am

my web server sits here in my apartment, now how cool is that...

if your wanting that, get yourself the "enhanced" (haha!! no insult intended) dsl package or cable package that offers

STATIC IP think of it as your internet phone number...i have 5 ip addresses...very sexy...

elbowmaster

Re: Building a web site.

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:18 am

Larry wrote:Tell me (us) about your web site experiences and ideas. I will keep this forum running even after the web site has been built. I think I can simply place it in the new site (right?).
correct, just link it from your home page...nice to have a message board on your web site...as you know...

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:56 am

Larry -
Glad to hear your expanding your empire, i just wish i could be of more assitstance to you other than member, but my knowledge of websites and their inner workings is nill.
I do have a friend, Steve aka Heavybombers, who may be able to help better, he has the Straffing Run Games site.
Perhaps you know of him.
I'll send him a e-mail and ask him to contact you.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:24 am

You can keep the forum as it is untouch... it can be as a link from your future new site and look just like it does now or you can incorparate into your new site... so that you'll still have a toolbar with links to other parts of your site.

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:31 am

elbowmaster you think Larry might be better served by using a Webhosting company? One less thing for Larry to maintain.. if he has his own server and it goes down.. I think hosting is more secure and less worries. Webhosting is what I use... It is also offered and explained at Yahoo.com.

Larry are you using webhosting now for your harrisgamedesign.com or is the place you bought the domain just got forwarding setup to send it to this forum site?
Last edited by TMTM on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:33 am

yeah there is alot to it, that would be lengthy...as ive said, would be happy to offer you assistance, if your interested, send me a message or email & i could return it with my phone number, so you can call me if you wish...dont worry, i dont have call tracking so i wont be able to know your number, if your worried about the stalking thing...

i have a site, as you know, and i do know what it will takes for you to assist you in make one, you do have several options...as in anything, if you dont know what your doing its easy to get ripped of...up to you, but writting all this is rather laborous and it would be easier just to talk to you about it...