Early Use of Renewable Fuels

Eldar - Our Swede in Norway suggested that we make this site. GREAT IDEA. It's like having our own library. No chat - just the facts
timerover51

Early Use of Renewable Fuels

Post by timerover51 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:32 am

The supply of fuel oil had become so critical by the spring of 1945 that edible refined soya bean oil was used as a last desperate measure on one battleship, the YAMATO, which was sunk in the battle of OKINAWA. While the soya bean oil was critically needed for food, the need for bunker fuel for the Fleet was even more urgent. The use of soya bean oil had been tried experimentally some ten years previously at the Third Naval Fuel Depot at TOKUYAMA. source: US Naval Technical Mission to Japan, Japanese Fuels and Lubricants - Article 6, page 9.

4. By 6 April YAMATO had fueled to 90 per cent capacity and had taken aboard a full supply of ammunition, including fuzed AA projectiles for the 48cm (sic, actual caliber was 45cm) main battery guns. Her mean draft was about 35 feet, thus approaching that of the fully loaded condition. source: US Naval Technical Mission to Japan, Reports of Damage to Japanese Warships - Article 2, page 11.

Note: The YAMATO normally would carry 6300 tons of fuel, so a 90% fuel loading would equal about 5700 tons of soy bean oil.

The following website has just about all of the Reports available in PDF format of the US Naval Technical Mission to Japan. Unfortunately, they appear to be scanned images off of the microfilm copies available from the US Naval Historical Center's Operational Archivies, so they cannot be searched using Adobe Acrobat. I have a complete set of the microfilms, along with a fair number of hard copies of different reports that I have accumulated over the years. It is an enormous treasure trove of information on the Japanese Navy during WW2.

Link to "Early Use of Renewable Fuels"

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:07 pm

nobody asked?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Well, I think it's interesting. It probably should have been posted in this forum, though.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Agreed, but it seems like posting random information that has no bearing on any discussion. Its not even phrased like:

" hey i found this interesting that a specific weapon was used and i thought id lost it in Axis and Allies 50th anniversary edition games thread because its so pertinent to that game"

Its cut, copy, and paste from internet.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.