researching my grandfather with Serial Number?

Eldar - Our Swede in Norway suggested that we make this site. GREAT IDEA. It's like having our own library. No chat - just the facts
mambo4

researching my grandfather with Serial Number?

Post by mambo4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 pm

I have long know that my grandfather was at Saipan and Iwo Jima. Sadly his personal diaries were lost after his death.

My father recently forwarded some archival data on my grandfather's enlistment forms. I now have enlistment rank and serial #. (US Army)

I was curious if there is a way to research, using this info, more of what my grandfather may have done?

Larry

Re: researching my grandfather with Serial Number?

Post by Larry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 pm

With what you have you should be able to access his 201 File. This list tons of information about the man and his military service. Including awards and decorations. Perhaps others here can help with next steps. He did his duty... now it's your turn!

timerover51

Re: researching my grandfather with Serial Number?

Post by timerover51 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 pm

mambo4 wrote:I have long know that my grandfather was at Saipan and Iwo Jima. Sadly his personal diaries were lost after his death.

My father recently forwarded some archival data on my grandfather's enlistment forms. I now have enlistment rank and serial #. (US Army)

I was curious if there is a way to research, using this info, more of what my grandfather may have done?
It depends on where his records from his service ended up being held. If they were in St. Louis, at the regional branch of the National Archives there, there was a major fire there in the 1970s, and a large number of records were lost. Your best bet is to check with the National Archives in Washington, DC and see where his personnel records might have been held. Are you sure he was in the Army? Aside from Army Air Force units, there was a limited number of US Army on Iwo. The 27th Division was on Saipan.