Why tanks defensive value increased?

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
Weekend Gamer

Post by Weekend Gamer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 pm

nlentz88 wrote:Also, the change of transport rules in Revised also increased the value of armor. In the original rules, a transport could only carry one armor unit at a time. In Revised, of course, a single transport can carry one armor AND one infantry. Suddenly it becomes much easier for nations to justify purchasing armor for transport overseas. This is of particular benefit, of course, to Japan and USA.
This is an excellent point. I thought about this after making my post and, in my opinion, is an even more important change than increasing the tank's defensive value, because if you can't get the suckers to the front, it hardly matters how well they defend. There is no question the change in the transport rule reduced substantially that advantage previously held by infantry (but not entirely, since you still can't load 2 tanks on a transport at one time like you can with infantry).

Krieghund, I think we are saying largely the same thing. The IPM IS reduced in Revised, just not completely eliminated. IMO, that's a good thing, because you don't necessarily want everyone buying only tanks either. Having multiple units with different values is what requires some level of skill to manage and makes A&A fun. By the way, did you see my post about the Bosporus? If you're the answer man (and in Larry's apparent absence), do you have an answer?

Thanks,
WG

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:47 pm

Weekend Gamer wrote:Krieghund, I think we are saying largely the same thing. The IPM IS reduced in Revised, just not completely eliminated. IMO, that's a good thing, because you don't necessarily want everyone buying only tanks either. Having multiple units with different values is what requires some level of skill to manage and makes A&A fun.
I agree completely.
Weekend Gamer wrote:By the way, did you see my post about the Bosporus? If you're the answer man (and in Larry's apparent absence), do you have an answer?
I saw it, but I'm afraid I can't help you there. We'll have to wait and see what Larry has to say. I can't quite read his mind yet. :wink:
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

saevel25

Post by saevel25 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 am

Thinking about the change some more, couldn't it be better to say that Infantry attack and defend on a 1 and that an artillery increases both attack and defense to a 2. That way you wouldn't dare buy all infantry, but couple them with artillery more.

suit

Re: Why tanks defensive value increased?

Post by suit » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 am

Perhaps a combine arms concept, of tanks paired with infantry, can defend on three, without any troopers it goes down to two. Depending on which game you have, you can also use Armor Personal Carriers.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 am

I made that exact same suggestion years ago, but it never caught on. I'm not sure why, as I thought it was pretty elegant. Maybe it was thought that there were enough combined arms bonuses in the game already.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:49 am

3/2 with two space movement for 5 IPC's strikes me as okay for medium tanks. For a heavy tank (Tiger, KV-1, etc.) the value looks to me to be 3/3, 2 hits to kill (hits do not accumulate since tanks can be repaired in the field, destroy the tank only if 2 hits happen in one combat encounter)and 1 space movement for a cost of 8 IPC's.
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

suit

Post by suit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Still I wonder, let us say for a reissue of Battle of the Bulge, a unit such as a Tank Destroyer, or, Self-Propelled Gun, or, Assault Gun could be introduced. Since the units are given, they would come out occasionally as compared to armor(how about a few light reconnaissance armor units/armor cars).

After all Bastogne was defended by Tank Destroyers, not so much the regular Sherman Tanks. Thanks, Pellulo

PS perhaps theses units could get an upgrade with infantry, when on the defense.