How Do I Make Japan Bite Harder?

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
OhNoMoto

How Do I Make Japan Bite Harder?

Post by OhNoMoto » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:59 am

Just got through playing a game tonight. In it I thought I was playing Japan pretty well. Pearl Harbor II went off w/out a hitch, and I took china as well as piling up in FIC and manchuria ready to take out the 6 soviet Inf and India.

There were no N/A's, and Britain didn't build the india factory, they didn't even move the egypt guys over, in fact they took the india navy and went through the suez.

Here was the problem the allies were playing Kill Germany First. America built 2 planes a turn and ships w/ the rest, england built invasion force, and russia played super agressive, germany built G1 carrier and was on the defensive by turn 2.

Basicly all the allies completly ignored me w/ america building enough ships to prevent an LA landing. It was very frustrating to see my ally picked apart so effectively with me sooo far away and powerless to stop them. Insult to injury was I was completely unscathed. I lost basically 0 units the entire game and took almost every territory w/out fight and still I was completely incapable of making the allies even worry about me.

How can a Japanese player make their presense felt when the allies are playing KGF?

Thanks for any input or advice guys.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:09 pm

Japan's major drive should be through India and Persia to Caucasus, with a joint Axis squeeze on Russia as the outcome. It is in this area that the game is usually decided, so get a steady supply of units heading in this direction. This may mean just holding the front in Siberia while you concentrate on the southern route; those 1 IPC Ice wastes are not worth losing units for.
Either use a big transport fleet to shuck units into India/Persia or, if the allies are intelligent enough to threaten your fleet with bombers, buiild a tank factory in FIC.

Remember: India/Persia/Caucasus/Russia is where it's all at in conventional Revised.

fishpeddler

Post by fishpeddler » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm

...or, if the allies are intelligent enough to threaten your fleet with bombers, buiild a tank factory in FIC.
I had more or less the same reaction to this question as Flashman. The part I was unsure about was how forward to press with my tank factory. I can't say I've played a game yet in which the Allies just handed me India. I'm torn between building that IC in India so I can get support to Caucasus more quickly, or set up shop back in FIC as Flashman suggested (presumably so it's closer to my power core and further from USSR's). Anyone have a strong argument one way or the other?

OhNoMoto

Post by OhNoMoto » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:06 pm

Yeah. The factory in FIC is definetly a good idea. What I usually do is pull back the japanese navy after pearl harbor 2 so i can preserve off japan to protect my transports. It is substantial enough that if the US wants to sink it they need to build up for 3 or so turns. Not to mention another 2 to get to it.

In this I would have earlier but I didn't realise that they were playing KGF until the end of my 2nd turn. So when I shifted gears it was already too late. The game only lasted 4 turns before it was unwinnable for the axis.

I also realised that you guys are very much so right about the tar pit effect that the soviet territories pose. Next time I play I'll be making FIC factory and India a main priority.

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm

These guys are right on...ignore the northern route, go through the south, a small stack in China just to take Sink back and keep Allies from thinking they will blitz through the middle.

BUT, don't plop down the IC too fast! First, you can push INF and Arty combos deep into Asia just as effective....but by around round 3-4 (opinions vary) you should have an IC in India. I personally don't put one in FIC right away, only when I know I have India firm and pushing hard, that way you can start a 2nd prong attack through China if the Allies start stacking in Cauc to stop Japan.

One area most people ignore that is perfect for an IC....East Indies. You already have the transports, and you can place 4 unit there (2 INF and 2 follow-ons), and you can go to Australia, India, Persia, T-J, Egypt, and It East Africa all in one move from there and no threats from Bombing Raids out there in the Ocean.

Japan is probably my strongest country...try it out, but not before round 3 at soonest!
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm

Of course the exact approach depends on what the UK do about India, specifically if they have a factory there. If they do build one and go for KGF you should be able to take it soon enough that you don't need to build one of your own.
If they don't go KGF you'll be facing an Indian factory and the possibility of a US Sinkiang factory to boot. This probably means shucking as many infantry to the mainland as you can to defend what you have, then gradually grind down the Allies to take those factories for yourself. In this case you really can't afford the 15 IPCs for a Japanese IC.

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Good Point, Flashman...and also why you always WAIT until you plop down a Japanese purchased IC.

If Allies throw them in Asia, you WILL eventually take them. KJF is very hard to pul off, so stick to your guns and bum-rush the Asian mainland with Infantry.

Also, many people always want to buy 1 INF and 1 ARM, or buy the IC and then 3 ARM. This all depends on what your German partner is doing and how fast you need to race across to Moscow, but in conjunction with the East Indies IC that can reach to all the above named locations with 4 land units, but any mainland IC should alternate purchases:

3 Armor: 9 Attk, 9 Def, 15 Cost.
1 Inf, 1 Arty, and 1 Fighter: 7 Attk, 8 Def, Cost 17.

Mix those two purchases up so you have a good offense with a combination of 16 Attk, and Defense, with 17, and at same time it allows for fighters to peel off and lend a hand at any attack point AND, as needed, to fly back to sea if USA gets frisky with a navy.

Its not a cure-all, but if Germany is holding and you have the money, the alternate purchases above in FIC or India mixed with the 4 land units from East Indies works very good at securing the Far East and Near East Asian mainlands AND Africa.

All of that at a cost of 29-31 IPCs---so after round 3-4 you should still have some left over for a few units to shuck across from Japan to Bury to snatch a few more IPCs in USSR to plug a gap if Allies try to go through China.

Just one technique of many, but this is how I work the Japanese.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

master_cyan

Post by master_cyan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Sabre Von Manteuffel wrote:Good Point, Flashman...and also why you always WAIT until you plop down a Japanese purchased IC.
I wait untill I take India before i build my first IC> then i put it in india
"I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion"-alexander the great