How Do I Make Japan Bite Harder?

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
trihero

Post by trihero » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:07 am

Actually, I like driving along the northern route. Start with a 3 tran build. Every turn, drop 4 inf 4 arm into Buryatia. Who cares about India? Just keep an inf in F. Indochina to stop it from being taken by inf.

Driving hard and fast along the northern route is efficient for some basic reasons:

1: it takes out Russian IPCs quickly, which is your goal. Every territory you take quickly means a lot less infantry down the road.

2: buying 3 tran (24 IPCs) unlocks 8 units per turn. In contrast, if you build 2 IC's, for 30 IPCs you unlock 6 units per turn. Pay more to get less? I think not!

3: having 4 transports allow you to threaten the US sometimes, as well as expand later

Think about it, on J2 you drop 8 units into Buryatia (bunch of inf from Philippines/those 2 islands under Japan, + the tank you bought and stuff on Japan itself), on J3 you drop 4 inf 4 tank into Buryatia, and on J4 you have about 8-10 inf + 1 art + 4 tanks in Novosibirsk, right on Russia's border! On J5 it's 12-14 inf + 1 art + 8 tanks + 6 fighters + 1 bomber, and Russia is in shock!

Sappington

Post by Sappington » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Aris wrote:i think the key to your axis loss's is germany. you seem to be playing japan correctly.

I truely believe you should buy an ACC on G1, and put it in SZ5 along with a TRN in the med. also on G1, you should use your BB and TRN in the med to do a joint amphibious assault on egypt with the troops from Libya and your bomber from germany. Egypt on G1 and a solid SZ5 navy are critical i think to holding out for the long haul with germany.
I'm curious what the rest of your G1 playout is like with purchasing an AC and TRN, and taking Egypt.

I don't like the idea of committing IPCs to Africa instead of the European fronts. I usually see the USA drop on Algeria on round 1 no matter what anyway.

swordsman3003

Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:15 pm

There's a really good way to prevent the US and England from landing in Algeria the first turn.

Build an AC off of Germany and build your transport there too. Now there is a possbility of launching an invasion of England on G2. Doing so would be stupid beyond anything, but now the English player has to either build Navy or build land units b/c you could attack with 4 land units + planes and it would really suck to lose your capital on turn 2.

In addition, use your starting BB and a plane to take out the British BB, and use 2 fighters and transports to attack the British DD and take a fighter if the DD gets a hit.

Also, use the Sub you start out with in the Atlantic (SZ 8 I think? I don't have a map right with me) to either
A: reinforce your BB
B: attack the British Transport off of Canada (if you're a risk-taker)

Now if the US tries to come into Africa, they run the risk of you attack with a BB + 3-4 fighters + bomber + sub (maybe)

If England fails to take back Anglo egypt, build an IC there - from then on, you can definitely take down Africa.

If England takes back Anglo egypt, and shoots down your transport, then you're probably in a rut of bad luck. I suppose that's the weakness of doing those moves.

pellulo

Use Japan's Navy...

Post by pellulo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:29 pm

... as if it belongs to Germany. Perform strikes against Brit. Navy units around India & Aussieland, air strike and move out of Pearl Harbor area. Rebuild your Navy slowly, used them now as a defensive mode.

Meanwhile take out China & attack the USSR from a conquered China. Link up with GE. in USSR, prepare for deaperate Allied counterattacks via Mid-East, India, Pacific, and Europe, as you probably have ONE turn to knock out and hold Russia's capital (if you do not hold , probably Japan will lose next most of her Asiactic lands, GE. falls and Japan is next). Thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo