How Do I Make Japan Bite Harder?

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
OhNoMoto

Post by OhNoMoto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:26 am

I just played a re-match earlier tonight. We (axis) still lost :x but it was a lot closer this time, and the weak link i'm sorry to say was once again germany, and once again it was KGF...

But on a positive note after taking your advice I made japan play twice as fast. I focused on india and didn't waste time with the soviets. By the end of J2 I had 2 IC's in the mainland, one in FIC, the second in India. (the brits didn't build it, I did after I took it on J1)

We lost w/ the US researching superbombers for 15 IPC's and getting it turn 1, then on america's 4th turn they were bombing berlin for 8D6 IPC damage... effectively killing germany. But by the end of J4 I had a large # of armor ready to take the caucasses, too little too late this time, but I know that it can be done now thanks to you guys.

Thanks, I appreciate the help fellas.

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:52 pm

OhNoMoto wrote:We lost w/ the US researching superbombers for 15 IPC's and getting it turn 1, then on america's 4th turn they were bombing berlin for 8D6 IPC damage... effectively killing germany. But by the end of J4 I had a large # of armor ready to take the caucasses, too little too late this time, but I know that it can be done now thanks to you guys.

Thanks, I appreciate the help fellas.
what is "8D6" ipc damage?

Are you playing out-of-the-box rules?

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:04 pm

If they can afford it, I like to have Japanese planes land in German controlled areas to protect key territories.

Especially in just conquered territories, to cover the German tanks.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Despite their high defence value, I dislike using fighters to defend. They can be too vulnerable to a determined enemy attack and should never be left on border territories. Their greatest asset is their movement allowance, and thereby the ability to attack and then fly back out of enemy range.
If you need fighters to defend, then you're not building enough infantry.

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Flashman wrote:Despite their high defence value, I dislike using fighters to defend. They can be too vulnerable to a determined enemy attack and should never be left on border territories. Their greatest asset is their movement allowance, and thereby the ability to attack and then fly back out of enemy range.
If you need fighters to defend, then you're not building enough infantry.
Huh?

In a KGF, the allies are bleeding the Germans dry... there's NO WAY for them to buy enough infantry.

Using Japanese ftrs for defence (notice I said if the Japanese could afford them) is a great way for Japan to help Germany without 1) much cost 2). commitment (japanese ftrs are often not needed for trading of territories in asia, just use ground units) and 3). moving units way out of position... basically their range that you spoke of.

If you have never amassed a stack of German tanks that are used in a turtle like move to smash landing allied units (and landing Japanese ftrs for cover), then I think yo're missing a great opportunity (or the only true opportunity) for the axis to work together as a team.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Well whenever I see the enemy leaving fighters to defend it makes it more tempting to attack that territory and wipe out those expensive fighters. A good player should never lose fighters in land based meat grinder battles.

Of course if you allow defender retreats a whole new dynamic comes into play.

AC

Post by AC » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:04 am

Flashman wrote:Well whenever I see the enemy leaving fighters to defend it makes it more tempting to attack that territory and wipe out those expensive fighters. A good player should never lose fighters in land based meat grinder battles.

Of course if you allow defender retreats a whole new dynamic comes into play.
I always use fighters to defend but I always leave enough infantry in the territory so that the fighters are rarely destroyed.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 am

i think the key to your axis loss's is germany. you seem to be playing japan correctly.

I truely believe you should buy an ACC on G1, and put it in SZ5 along with a TRN in the med. also on G1, you should use your BB and TRN in the med to do a joint amphibious assault on egypt with the troops from Libya and your bomber from germany. Egypt on G1 and a solid SZ5 navy are critical i think to holding out for the long haul with germany.

Taking egypt does a couple of things for you. 1. it almost always forces UK to withdrawl all troops from india to come take it back on their first turn, allowing japan to easily take it (sometimes with only 1 INF), so you can put an IC on india on J2. Also it keeps the UK fleet in the indian ocean from being able to come into the med. In the games i play, it will also almost always result in UK spending 15 IPC on an IC in the very southern tip of africa, to try and hold out with 2 TNK's per turn. Every IPC UK puts in africa is an IPC they didnt put in western europe, but if they ignore africa, it basically castrates UK's income. So its a win/win scenario for germany.

Taking africa, for germany, should be their primary goal after "holding out as long as you can". It makes UK/US turn their focus away from germany to try and hold it, while also giving germany much needed extra IPC to build units.

Other than that, keep a nice stack of INF on western europe with your luftwafa FTR's to deter anything but a major invasion force, put 2x FTR's on your ACC at the end of G1 to guarentee its survival, and keep the TNK's and INF flowing from germany to the eastern front against russia.

Something to think about for a possibility in the future, uniting your med and baltic fleets in SZ7. While the combined US/UK navy (usually in SZ8) may look intimidating, remember that they cannot attack together. So while you may not be able to destroy their combined navy's, usually your baltic/med combined navy is enough to deter any sort of european invasion for at least 3 or 4 turns, and when they do, you will ususally decimate one of them (usually UK's navy). This also does a couple other good things for germany ive noticed. it forces UK/USA to combine all their atlantic ships together for safety, so you wont have stray TRN's running amuck all over the place, also since they will most likely be staging an invasion together in SZ8, that means they are 2 turns from being able to go around you to SZ5 to land in germany, giving you plenty of time to back up to there, and if they dont move there together allowing you the opportunity along with your FTR's on the mainland to take out one country's fleet.

Lots of options come up if you just put a couple of ships on G1 in the water. It allows for much more flexibility and time.

Remember, as axis, its all about making the game last as long as possible. because eventually, japan will take moscow. its inevitable. Theres nothing that will stop it. I've even seen japan grind through a complete KJF strategy with IC's in india and siankang. Japan is a major force to be reckoned with. So just hold out as long as you can until japan comes to save you.