Value of Artillery for Axis

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
mambo4

Value of Artillery for Axis

Post by mambo4 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm an old school player when it comes to Artillery: I almost never purchase them, and usually buy for ARM and INF (and transports for JAP)

Has anybody embraced the Artillery in their Axis purchases? has it proved effective?

axis_roll

Re: Value of Artillery for Axis

Post by axis_roll » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:27 pm

mambo4 wrote:I'm an old school player when it comes to Artillery: I almost never purchase them, and usually buy for ARM and INF (and transports for JAP)

Has anybody embraced the Artillery in their Axis purchases? has it proved effective?
Germany can use the artillery effectively.
With a range of 1, Art is slow. If Germany is hunkering down with all inf buys expecting the dreaded and popular KGF allied strat, a number of art can make an inf stack much more looming as it marches forward.

Not too great of a purchase for Japan.

mambo4

Post by mambo4 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:51 pm

thanks for the reply.

do you strive to purchase ART and INF to maximize the 1:1 ratio?

or is it mostly INF and an occasional ART as spare change permits?

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:20 am

I don't go overboard with art for Germany, so there's no quest to maximize their ratio.

It's a nice thing to add one or two a turn when the buy dictates such, like $34 lends itself to 10 inf, 1 art.

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 pm

I have embraced artillery purchases. When I purchase I like the 2 Infantry:1 Artillery ratio. While this force is slow, it is also powerful. I can always purchase tanks later, which can then meet up with that lumbering force.

The artillery makes the infantry more powerful on the attack - which is most useful. And additionally, the problems of the past, namely that 1 IPC that you could not spend due to unit combinations is solved.

Besides, I also use the National Advantages :D
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Commands: Galactic Empire Data Bank

dinosaur

Post by dinosaur » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

I have begun to like artillery a lot. Early, I go for about 1 arty : 3 Infantry. Later I might go up to 1 arty : 2 infantry. I don't use many tanks, and will buy about 1 tank : 1 fighter : 2 arty : 6 infantry ratios. I'm even working on a mathmatical study of arty, tanks and infantry to understand the optimum ratios. The permutations are complex and take some time to sort out. Russia still needs to make sure and have deep stacks of infantry.

trihero

Post by trihero » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:11 am

It's important to keep the number of infantry well over the number of art, because artillery lose their offensive effectiveness once their partners start dying. Ideally you want the artillery to have infantry partners for more than one round (in a big fight).

Artillery are more cost effective for offense than arm are when you have lots and lots of infantry, but don't forget that arm are significantly more mobile, fire better on defense, and don't lose effectiveness as infantry die.

So therefore as stated earlier it's OK for Germany to add art in because they tend to have massive stacks of infantry and they move slow (already have lots of tanks). Russia too early on.

Art isn't very good for the other nations because you do value the mobility a lot when you're moving around Asia or from Norway, and also because you have build limits on UK/Japan; if you build 4 inf 4 art and still have some IPCs leftover, it's probably a better idea to upgrade those art to arm since it's not like you can build more units anyways.

But I could be wrong, maybe art is ok for the other nations if you use the extra IPCs to do something else like build a complex or build out of an existing complex.