My Handicap Idea

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
dinosaur

My Handicap Idea

Post by dinosaur » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:49 pm

Folks,

I've been teaching this game to my son. But as you can imagine, when things turn out bad, he gets all agitated. I have been thinking how I could make this better for both of us. I realized I can get some 8-sided dice and use some number of them to handicap my side. For example, I might use 2 8-sided dice all the time when rolling. If I were attacking with 4 tanks, 2 artliiery and 8 infantry, I could roll 2d8 & 2d6 for tanks, then 2d8 & 2d6 for arty and then 2d8 & 4d6 for infantry. The d8s give me an effective handicap and keep it interesting for both of us.

What handicap ideas do you use, apart from the opening bid already in use?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 pm

You could always give his side a couple of the National Advantages, taking none for yourself. Or you could let him start off with a random weapons development for each power he controls.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

bobthefish

Post by bobthefish » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 am

I have the same problem with my younger brother. I face more of a problem with keeping him interested though, he is able to make pretty wise moves straqtegically but his problem comes with wanting to buy the biggest and in turn most exspensiive units expesially with Russia even when I try to caution him otherwise.