R1 idea

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:05 am

IMO, 9 VC still requires Russia to be more concerned with keeping Germany at bay long enough for its allies to put some pressure on the back doors.

If Russia looses Caucasus early in the game, like they can with that R1 you described, it makes things harder for them than if they let Germany take Karelia early on with out a fight and just focus on keeping Germany fighting for the front…one territory away from Russia’s industrial complexes.

I've found that in most cases if Russia does more than "defend" for the first few rounds by only battling back and forth with Germany for Archangel, West Russia and the Ukraine it leaves Russia too week to hold off the real threat that Germany can send in about the third or forth round and what Japan can bring in form behind in the same number of turns. You’ll be surprised what an aggressive German player can do to Russia in just a few short rounds and what a Japanese player can do to the back side of Russia while Russia is “fighting” to gain lands in Germany..

If Germany is aggressive against Russia you would think that it would leave the opportunity for D-day early in the game, and it does, but it always proves to be premature if done before securing Africa and Norway and Karelia. If the UK and US hit too soon, (which is what some players will do when they see Germany sending “everything” at Russia) and Russia is too aggressive, it’s an easy war for Germany.

I also meant to tell you its great to hear you playing this game with your son, more dads need to play games with their kids. So good on ya Seabee!
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Builder_Chris wrote:IMO, 9 VC still requires Russia to be more concerned with keeping Germany at bay long enough for its allies to put some pressure on the back doors.

If Russia looses Caucasus early in the game, like they can with that R1 you described, it makes things harder for them than if they let Germany take Karelia early on with out a fight and just focus on keeping Germany fighting for the front…one territory away from Russia’s industrial complexes.
Who are you replying to? I never mentioned anything Russia and the Caucasus.

The original post was about a R1 attack on West Russia and Belorussia, and how devastating that was to Germany. I disagreed. I like when Germany has her full air force.
Team AR
Germany
Give Enhanced a try, Revised best variant rule set
http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=15339

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:16 am

My reply was directed at a little bit of everyone, and I agree with you (axis_roll), this R1 move is not that devastating; Germany can recover from it especially with all of their Luftwaffe still intact.

A better R1, IMO, would be to leave Belorussia alone, hit West Russia and Ukraine, keeping Germany fighting back and forth for the territories that are one away from Russia’s factories instead of pushing into Germany via Belorussia and most importantly to keep the Caucasus strongly defended with 4 newly placed infantry, its two fighters and the two infantry form Kazakh. The R1 move that was described and asked about as the original post by dinosaur, IMO, leaves Russia more vulnerable to a German counter strike than it leaves Germany weak to a continued aggressive Russian Attack.

In a nut shell, I think it’s a weak R1 move.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!