Ignoring Pearl Harbor

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
Flying Tiger

Ignoring Pearl Harbor

Post by Flying Tiger » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Anyone ever NOT attack Pearl Harbor on J1?

I could see it as a move to lure the USA into spending more on a Pacific campaign. Taking heat off of Germany is a good thing. You'll also save some assets from counterattack.

I'm sure this has been gone over though. Thoughts?
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Well I guess this means no one has ever NOT attacked Pearl harbor. Poor move I reckon.
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

trihero

Post by trihero » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:39 am

There's not much reason to ignore it, unless there's a lot of Allied pressure.

If the Allies aren't pressing you, then you have nothing better to do with 2 figs 1 bom 1 btl 1 dest 1 car 1 sub.

As for luring the Americans, what if they aren't lured? That means one extra fig against Germany at the least.

I would ignore Pearl in some circumstances, but the reason would be a lot of Allied pressure on SZ60 so I need to keep the BB at home or something to that effect.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:21 pm

In my experience not attacking the US Hawaiian fleet simply leads to the US transferring it to the Atlantic to hassle Germany. They can always build more if Japan becomes a problem in the Pacific.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Or if you don't go after it you give the US a head start on a Pacific fleet if that is their inclination.

Heck just pull it back to the West Coast. Run the shuck-shuck via WUS, WCA, ECA and you can keep Japan "honest" for free. Sneak in a TRN here and there maybe...

When you get a chance to sink boats at little risk you must take it.

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:36 pm

I usually ignore Pearl Harbor II, instead I usually reposition the whole fleet (from Japan and the Caroline Islands) to threaten Hawaii forcing the USN back t o the West Coast. From there I usually do a counter-clockwise motion in taking New Zealand, Australia, and then the fleet meets up at India to seize control of it.

My strategy calls for "playing into the Britain's hands". Britain wants to divert Japanese resources from elsewhere, but conversely, the British must commit large resources to defend India, which in turn takes pressure off of Germany - which is one primary goal.

If National Advantages are being used (I've been tinkering with the list I submitted a while ago) then I attack Pearl Harbor in order to divert resources away from aircraft production (which the US promptly delivers to the USSR [Lend-Lease]). Mind you, in the National Advantages I use to conduct such an attack; Japan uses one of its specific ones to help give it the advantage for the early period of gameplay.
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Commands: Galactic Empire Data Bank