Question dealing with setup for navies of USA and Japan

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
Flying Tiger

Question dealing with setup for navies of USA and Japan

Post by Flying Tiger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 pm

I'm no history expert but it has always bothered me that in the spring of 42' that the starting setup would have the USA completely vulnerable to attack in Hawaii. Carrier, fighter and sub in range of so much fire power from Japan?

I know it is just a game but what was the real "situation" in the Pacific at that time? Midway was about to happen right?

If I was to set it up I would have a Carrier, fighter, Battleship, transport in western USA and a sub and transport in Hawaii to start the game. Would that be more realistic, or a bad idea? At the very least I would switch the BB and CV for the setup.

Thoughts?
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Admiral_Thrawn

Post by Admiral_Thrawn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 am

I know what you are saying. It does seem weird that Japan can quickly destroy the what was left the US fleet in the first move. Part of the problem is that there is so little spaces in the Pacific that you can reach most places from anywhere. Hell, Midway is pointless in the game. It's there just because it has to be. AAR does not represent the battle in the Pacific at all. Nothing about it is like the real war. It's the stupid America abandons it to attack Germany and Japan abandons it to attack Russia. Thats why I like AAP and AAE better than Revised(with a few house rules of course!).
"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that seperate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter." - Grand Admiral Thrawn

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:44 pm

A slightly larger Pacific would be nice, like you say. If that was the case it would be very hard to get "in" the game quick enough in the Pacific.

Maybe the answer is to start the game on a "December 6th 1941 setup". Give Japan a few more boats and USA a few more boats to promote a Pacific battle. Japan could start with 2 CV, DD, sub, 4 fighters one space from Hawaii. The USA would have 2BB, Transport sitting in Hawaii. Something like this could see a battle of 4 fighters, sub, DD vs 2BB and Transport. Japan takes 2 hits on DD and Sub but destroys 2BB and transport. (Is this what AAP looks like? I've never played it) Remaining fighters land on CVs out of range of counter attack.

For the other theatres of war just have Germany and Japan in strong positions to take Phillipines, West Russia on 1st turn etc...

I really do not like the USA automatically losing a CV on the 1st turn. I would rather see a historical opening where their CV survives
NOT

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 am

It is a very interesting point and I totally agree with Flying Tiger.
In order to set up the game on "December 6th 1941 setup" there is an interesting link at:
http://www.navsource.org/Naval/usf.htm

I use this link in order to set up the Pacific Theatre in my A&A Total War.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:28 am

Admiral_Thrawn wrote:AAR does not represent the battle in the Pacific at all. Nothing about it is like the real war. It's the stupid America abandons it to attack Germany and Japan abandons it to attack Russia. Thats why I like AAP and AAE better than Revised(with a few house rules of course!).
This is because there is no reason to fight the pacific war for America and minimal rewards for the Japanese (some island dollars).

No incentive = no battles in that theatre.

One way to add a Pacific war is to make Hawaii and/or Sydney victory cities.

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Mimmo wrote:It is a very interesting point and I totally agree with Flying Tiger.
In order to set up the game on "December 6th 1941 setup" there is an interesting link at:
http://www.navsource.org/Naval/usf.htm

I use this link in order to set up the Pacific Theatre in my A&A Total War.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
Wow, that is an amazing list. I'll be looking it over. I can already tell AAR should have a USA BB in the Atlantic. Of course you change something like that then you probably have to give the Germans an extra sub or 2. It would take alot of research to REALLY figure it all out.

Any information on the Japanese?
NOT

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:38 pm

axis_roll wrote:[No incentive = no battles in that theatre.

One way to add a Pacific war is to make Hawaii and/or Sydney victory cities.
Yeah this would put some American boats in the Pacific for sure. Defend Sydney and Honolulu, attack when the opportunity arises.
NOT

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Mimmo, I just looked up your Total War thread. I have to say it is a thing of beauty. IMO it is the best custom map and setup I have seen.

The Pacific setup is what I was thinking except that you went large scale(which is even better). Anyway, great job. Did anyone ever download and print that map?
NOT