Axis & Allies Revised Edition Online (BUGS)

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 pm

the latest patch included 9 VC option. I am perplexed but not suprised that WotC would provide this online game to GTO with fuzzy rule interpretations. i.e. the BBS bombardment issue.
-The evil Bert & friend

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:07 pm

So when is the LHTR option going to be available?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 am

I was just hoping for Larrys OOB version. What they have now is Axis & Allies: Couple of dudes from WoTc development who didnt do the job right and created a different game of AA:R / it is still playable and fun, but with some annoying bugs.
-The evil Bert & friend

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:46 am

While running a Revised tourney at Smorey's Spring Gathering this weekend, I had this bombardment issue come up with the one team specifically referencing the GTO interpretation.

They had the Combined Bombardment tech for the US and were hitting Trans-Jordan and Egypt in the same round, with a naval force of transports and two destroyers.

They called me over and were talking about the bombardment situation. At first I didn't understand what they were trying to do and then it hit me! I had to really stamp on them hard that this was a bug in the GTO game that wasn't legal.

I said that just because the GTO guys had a certain view of what the rules stated didn't mean that was the actual rule.

While I appreciate the GTO version being out there, I really think that they need to clear these kind of things up. And also see if they can come up with a LHTR (v2.0) version.

Craig

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Is this misconception widespread enough that we need to add it to the FAQ?

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:00 am

Krieghund wrote:Is this misconception widespread enough that we need to add it to the FAQ?
I don't ever recall it being an issue in all the time of dealing with questions back on the AH boards when Revised came out or after that on A&A.org.

This seems to only have arisen in the time that the GTO version has been around.

The real problem here is people seem to think that they have been doing it wrong all the years previous to this. This "interpretation" by the GTO people could lead to a real headache down the line for us GMs who have to fight this battle every time we turn around.

"Well, it's allowed online in the GTO version." will be the constant refrain from the players wanting to do this. It could become the defacto way of play just because that is what people are allowed to do.

Computer versions of games are great for many reasons, but one of the best is for the teaching of the rules to new player (and sometimes old!). By not allowing moves, combats, etc., players learn the correct method. If this is allowed to continue, players will just assume it a legal move.

Craig

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 am

Craig A Yope wrote:The real problem here is people seem to think that they have been doing it wrong all the years previous to this. This "interpretation" by the GTO people could lead to a real headache down the line for us GMs who have to fight this battle every time we turn around.
Unfortunately, GTO claims it got this interpretation from Wizards. This is certainly not outside the realm of possibility, as they got some other bad information from Wizards. Since the problem hasn't been corrected, perhaps an FAQ entry is in order, but that could take a while to process.