Minor, Major & Total Victories

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
obiwanjohn

Minor, Major & Total Victories

Post by obiwanjohn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:02 pm

I ordered A&A Pacifc and have played it twice. Each game has taken me 5 hours to play.

I just read the A&A Revised rules and they seem a bit more streamlined than Pacific. If I want to play a shorter game, it mentions three levels of victory conditions: Minor Victory, Major Victory & Total Victory.

Assuming I'm not the fastest player out there(I'm not), how long, 'realistically' is this game going to take me if I play the basic rules, exclude weapons development and play for a Minor victory? Judge my game time based on my gametime of Pacific as your guide. Would Classic be an even better choice or be no difference?

The target for me is less than 3 hours. My 2 playing partners & myself all want a 3 hour or less game.

I would appreciate some feedback before I buy the game. Is this the game I'm looking for? I'm thinking maybe I should have bought Revised instead of Pacific.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I think a minor victory game would probably take you less than three hours.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:38 am

Anyone else want to advise me?

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 pm

obiwanjohn wrote:Anyone else want to advise me?
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but I just don't see how this could be fulfilling.

8 VCs isn't a very satisfying game. The anecdotal data confirms this. An Axis lunge for Leningrad and Calcutta with only the US having a chance to take something back before the full game turn is done.

I am sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but there is just not much chance to get in a "quality" game in under 3 hours.

The Origins/GCI tournaments give 3:45 to try to complete a game and I give 4:30 in the tournament that I run.

Even then, the only reason that a game really ends before that is when a person concedes. Or a game is in such a state that there is a clear winner only because of a skill mismatch/bad dice.

Craig

obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Craig A Yope wrote:
obiwanjohn wrote:Anyone else want to advise me?
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but I just don't see how this could be fulfilling.

8 VCs isn't a very satisfying game. The anecdotal data confirms this. An Axis lunge for Leningrad and Calcutta with only the US having a chance to take something back before the full game turn is done.

I am sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but there is just not much chance to get in a "quality" game in under 3 hours.

The Origins/GCI tournaments give 3:45 to try to complete a game and I give 4:30 in the tournament that I run.

Even then, the only reason that a game really ends before that is when a person concedes. Or a game is in such a state that there is a clear winner only because of a skill mismatch/bad dice.

Craig

I haven't played the game yet. So, I'm not aware of any 'easy win' scenario that you just pointed out. No doubt, I'll discover this upon setting up the board and viewing the starting manpower and IPC's of the respective countries and their relative positions to each other.

I could always play to 9 or 10 Victory Cities. Though 9 is not an official stopping point, it might work better.

4 hours to play the original game is not that bad. But, does anyone really play for 12 Victory Cities? It would seem to me that once the 10th City is taken, victory is probably inevitable and the other player should resign.

I appreciate your post.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Nine Victory Cities is definitely the best stopping point, IMO.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Krieghund wrote:Nine Victory Cities is definitely the best stopping point, IMO.
I often wondered why there wasn't an official stopping point at 9. Maybe I'll try that first based on what you fine gentlemen have indicated.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 am

obiwanjohn wrote:
Krieghund wrote:Nine Victory Cities is definitely the best stopping point, IMO.
I often wondered why there wasn't an official stopping point at 9. Maybe I'll try that first based on what you fine gentlemen have indicated.
The Larry Harris Tournament Rules (LHTR) did make this an official number.

http://www.axisandallies.org/LHTR

Craig