Minor, Major & Total Victories

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Craig A Yope wrote:
obiwanjohn wrote:Anyone else want to advise me?
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but I just don't see how this could be fulfilling.

8 VCs isn't a very satisfying game. The anecdotal data confirms this. An Axis lunge for Leningrad and Calcutta with only the US having a chance to take something back before the full game turn is done.

I am sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but there is just not much chance to get in a "quality" game in under 3 hours.

The Origins/GCI tournaments give 3:45 to try to complete a game and I give 4:30 in the tournament that I run.

Even then, the only reason that a game really ends before that is when a person concedes. Or a game is in such a state that there is a clear winner only because of a skill mismatch/bad dice.

Craig

I just bought the game last night. You're right about the 8 victory cities. No doubt Germany can take Leningrad on its first turn. Calcutta on the 2nd or 3rd. I haven't even played the game yet and this is apparent.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Generally after the Soviet Union falls it is pretty easy to see who will win. There are however times that the game can continue with Russia out of the war, but that is generally when Berlin falls near or at the same time that Moscov falls.
-The evil Bert & friend

crimhead

Re: Minor, Major & Total Victories

Post by crimhead » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:55 am

Craig A Yope wrote: I don't want to be a party-pooper, but I just don't see how this could be fulfilling.
I've played Minor Victory before, and for me it's very fun! In fact it's my preferred way to play revised. It can take longer than three hours.
obiwanjohn wrote: I just bought the game last night. You're right about the 8 victory cities. No doubt Germany can take Leningrad on its first turn. Calcutta on the 2nd or 3rd. I haven't even played the game yet and this is apparent.

The fastest Axis win is accomplished by Japan dumping all sorts of IPCs into Long Range Air Craft tech on turn one. But even this can be stopped with the help of Russian tanks. You will need Russian tanks in India turn one, and Russian infantry by turn two. A British Indian IC is mandatory as well.

India may indeed eventually fall, but the Allies can try to be in Paris or Leningrad by then. It can be a close game. This scenario is actually better balanced than a 10 or 12 city game, both of which heavily Favour the Allies. The extra pressure put on India (and taken off Germany) neutralizes the would be Axis disadvantage.

If you find Minor Victory to hard for the Allies, throw in a National Advantage. Either one of Radar or Colonial Garrison should be more than enough.