Impressed with Revised - not so much with Pacific

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
obiwanjohn

Impressed with Revised - not so much with Pacific

Post by obiwanjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

My first purchase of A&A game was D-Day. I'm very pleased with the straightforward gameplay.

I then purchased Pacific. After playing a couple games, I'd have to say I'm disappointed with it. I find the US IPC value is way too high at 75. Also, the Brits start out with 47 if I remember correctly. Conversely, Japan starts with a meager 19! This is a 6 to 1 ratio. In addition, the Allies start with slightly more material. I'm sure this has been debated thoroughly, but I don't see reasonable chances for Japan to win either by Victory points or controlling a capital.

In one of my games as Japan, I quickly took several islands and built my IPC up to 31. However, with each passing turn, the US and UK continued to out produce Japan. Inevitably, the UK took back those territories I gained early as my production is simply not enough to sustain those territories. It seems inevitably to me the Allies will win. I wish the the US & UK production levels were reduced. I think the huge IPC value of the Allies makes the game too unbalanced. I'd suggest reducing the US IPC value to 40 and the UK 30. This is still a 3.5 to 1 ratio. Japan certainly enjoys an early positional advantage, but it doesn't seem, IMHO, to be nearly enough to equate to victory.

I also didn't really like the 'airbase' idea due to the overcrowded territories.

Now, onto Revised:
The rules seem straightforward and the gameplay more streamlined.

I like the idea of Weapons development but think it should be limited in some way; 1 per power per game. Simply enough.

There just seems to be more balance with the starting IPCs. I also like the fighter plane markers and the improved marshalling center numbers versus the blue square things that obscure the territories in Pacific. I guess Revised was made later.

The map looks great and the colors are easier to distinguish than in Pacific.

Long game or not, I'm very impressed with Revised and look forward to playing it. It just seems more interesting and entertaining to me.