Stacking Limits - Does anyone use them?

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
obiwanjohn

Stacking Limits - Does anyone use them?

Post by obiwanjohn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

It seems to me that the main issue I have with the three major A&A games is 'Overstacked Capital Territories'. I have more issues with Pacific. But, only this with Revised.

For example, if you have 30 IPCs, you could buy 10 Infantry and most likely ward off any attacking army for a couple of turns; just by sheer numbers. Basically, you're buying hits to your capital, 'on the cheap' at 3 IPCs per hit. However, it's the stacking that happens when you're not in trouble that bothers me as well.

I think some kind of stackinig limit could be put in place to make the game, 'honest' in this respect. What about a max of 6 of each type of unit per capital territory? A unit and a red chip underneath. Does that make sense? This way, no one can overstack a capital territory and prolong the game. A stack of 6 is pretty generous, IMHO, and should be a fair balance. But, even this, might still be too much.

Has anyone put in effect a house-rule along these lines?

Has anyone every used a stacking limit of 8 units per territory or sea zone?

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

In Classic: At times could have huge stacks of armies in Karelia.

Revised: I do not see the huge stacks of armies in this version based on my online gaming at GTO. I do see at times a good sized army in Russia, but I do not think stacking is a huge issue in Revised. But this is just my opinion and I am sure others may think differently.
-The evil Bert & friend

obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:54 pm

elbowsanchez wrote:In Classic: At times could have huge stacks of armies in Karelia.

Revised: I do not see the huge stacks of armies in this version based on my online gaming at GTO. I do see at times a good sized army in Russia, but I do not think stacking is a huge issue in Revised. But this is just my opinion and I am sure others may think differently.

You're probably right. The highest starting IPC is only 42 in Revised and each country starts out with a pretty 'sparse' army.(I like that aspect btw) You need to build an invasion force also.

Rather than a universal stacking limit, I might create a house rule that caps just the number of Infantry allowed in a Victory City to 8; or some other number. I just don't want Infantry to be used to abuse the system.

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:30 pm

I haven’t seen/experienced any real “problem” from stacking in AAR (I can’t speak for the other A&A games…haven’t played them enough to know). :oops:

But in AAR;
Sure, Russia could stack infantry every turn and just build up their defenses, waiting for their allies to come to their aid before buying any “offensive units”. And that can produce A LOT :shock: of units in their capital territory. And if the Axis is “racing” to Moscow instead of “smartly” :o attacking/building for their assault(s) on Moscow, this type of “stacking” :evil: could prove to be nearly impossible for the Axis to break through. But I haven’t’ seen it prove to be such a big problem that there would/should be a limit on unit stacks.

AAR is on such a LARGE SCALE, (heck sea zones and territories are not even the same “scale” and units are not detailed out as to how many troops/tanks/fighters etc.. are “in” each unit.) that putting a limit on stacks is some what irrelevant to me. It doesn’t make sense to me to do such a thing when there is no “physical boundaries” in the game. The board and unit pieces are pretty vague and abstract compared to some more “historic” games; that’s a big part of what a I like about this game.

I have not played a game yet, that someone’s “stack” :roll: can’t be overcome. Sure, some of those stacks may require several waves of “attack and retreat (oops…retrograde) tactics” or “attrition tactics” to overcome them. And those types of tactics usually take much longer to use than the “my stack is bigger that your stack….one attack tactic”. :twisted: But with some patience, planning, staging of reinforcements and some help from the dice, any stack can be overcome; some sooner than others. :wink:

I used to believe that AAR was a race for the Axis to get into Russia before the “Arsenal of Democracy” of the US could get their IPC advantage “into the game” and smash Germany. I used to think it was just a matter of time and the Axis would loose. And maybe I just suck at this game and I’m fooling myself, :( but I believe there is plenty that the Axis can do to change the geopolitical balance of the game so that it is not just “a matter of time”. More time helps them to overcome Russia’s tendency/ability to stack units before the UK and US get into Germany, but more time does not spell certain doom for the Axis either.

So, so far, I don’t see a need for “stack limits”.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

obiwanjohn

Post by obiwanjohn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Builder_Chris wrote:I haven’t seen/experienced any real “problem” from stacking in AAR (I can’t speak for the other A&A games…haven’t played them enough to know). :oops:

But in AAR;
Sure, Russia could stack infantry every turn and just build up their defenses, waiting for their allies to come to their aid before buying any “offensive units”. And that can produce A LOT :shock: of units in their capital territory. And if the Axis is “racing” to Moscow instead of “smartly” :o attacking/building for their assault(s) on Moscow, this type of “stacking” :evil: could prove to be nearly impossible for the Axis to break through. But I haven’t’ seen it prove to be such a big problem that there would/should be a limit on unit stacks.

AAR is on such a LARGE SCALE, (heck sea zones and territories are not even the same “scale” and units are not detailed out as to how many troops/tanks/fighters etc.. are “in” each unit.) that putting a limit on stacks is some what irrelevant to me. It doesn’t make sense to me to do such a thing when there is no “physical boundaries” in the game. The board and unit pieces are pretty vague and abstract compared to some more “historic” games; that’s a big part of what a I like about this game.

I have not played a game yet, that someone’s “stack” :roll: can’t be overcome. Sure, some of those stacks may require several waves of “attack and retreat (oops…retrograde) tactics” or “attrition tactics” to overcome them. And those types of tactics usually take much longer to use than the “my stack is bigger that your stack….one attack tactic”. :twisted: But with some patience, planning, staging of reinforcements and some help from the dice, any stack can be overcome; some sooner than others. :wink:

I used to believe that AAR was a race for the Axis to get into Russia before the “Arsenal of Democracy” of the US could get their IPC advantage “into the game” and smash Germany. I used to think it was just a matter of time and the Axis would loose. And maybe I just suck at this game and I’m fooling myself, :( but I believe there is plenty that the Axis can do to change the geopolitical balance of the game so that it is not just “a matter of time”. More time helps them to overcome Russia’s tendency/ability to stack units before the UK and US get into Germany, but more time does not spell certain doom for the Axis either.

So, so far, I don’t see a need for “stack limits”.

I stand corrected. 'Revised' is a brilliant piece of worksmanship. Stacking Limits are absolutely not necessary.