Submarine question

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
obiwanjohn

Submarine question

Post by obiwanjohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:06 am

Subs rules are a bit different in Revised than in Pacific.

My question is....

Both sides submarines can only submerge after one cycle of combat has taken place; provided there is no Destroyer present. Or they could submerge after the second cycle of combat, etc.

Is that statement correct?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Pacific, you can submerge instead of attacking or submerge instead of defending.

Do I have the difference down correctly between these two games?

I actually like the Revised rule better (if I'm reading it right)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 am

Yes, that's correct.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Protoford

Post by Protoford » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 am

Another sub question, under non-combat moves the rule states that sea units cannot move through hostile sea zones, except when the enemy forces consist of only submerged submarines.
Since submarines are not submerged during combat movement, do you have to stop and fight them? Or can you move through them as if they were not there and fight enemy units in the next sea zone.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:48 am

You have to stop and fight them. You can only ignore subs when they're submerged.

MichaelTimer54

Re: Submarine question

Post by MichaelTimer54 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 am

I am still confused about passing through a sea zone containing only subs.

During the section on Combat Moves, page 12 of the revised rules says "[sea units] may move through if those enemy units consist of only submerged submarines. Destroyers immediately reveal submerged submarines, which ends the destroyers' movement."

Two things:

1) subs can't be submerged during the combat move phase, correct? As in this situation will never actually happen. Destroyers will never "reveal" submerged subs during their combat move phase, right?

2) It seems a little vague. Is it just the destroyer's move that ends when she reveals a submerged sub? (say during the non-combat move phase) Or does the whole fleet have to come to a stop?

Is it actually possible that a destroyer is forced to "stop" but the rest of the fleet is allowed to continue with their movement? This seems very unjust. Why are the destroyers arbitrarily obligated to hover over the sub? At the very least, shouldn't a destroyer have the right to ignore the sub? (like, she has the right to discover the sub, but can choose not to exercise that right)

I hope I'm just misunderstanding it.

Krieghund

Re: Submarine question

Post by Krieghund » Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome, MichaelTimer54!

Quite simply, this is a mistake in the rulebook. It's odd that it was never caught before, but there it is. Subs can't be submerged during the combat movement phase.