Good house rules

Axis & Allies Revised by Avalon Hill. Released in 2004.
Axis & Allies is a classic game of war, economics, and global strategy. Victory goes not only to the team that conquers its opponents on the field of battle, but also to the individual player who seizes the most enemy territory.
hakan

Good house rules

Post by hakan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:08 pm

I have always played with plenty of house rulses (gabraltar, how subs work, AA-guns etc). It adds alot. Me and my friend - who have played A&A for some 20 years - just tested a new combat house-rule, wich was really good:

- Tank attack and defend on “3” as normal, however if it rolls “1” an enemy tank is destroyed (if present).

- Artillery attack and defend on “2” as normal, however if it rolls “1” an enemy tank is destroyed (if present).*

- Fighter attack on “3” and defend on “4” as normal, however if it rolls “1” an enemy air unit is destroyed, if present (first enemy fighters, then bombers).

Do you folks out there have some favorite house rules?

/Håkan

* The art. attack on tanks is not really an art. attack, but rather to symbolize the effektive anti-tank guns (like the PaK 88). And above all: We had to make the art. slightly better, since we never buy them.

axis_roll

If it works for you...

Post by axis_roll » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:30 pm

These rules, IMHO, are adding a dice roll luck factor into the game. Hard to based strategies based on a dice roll of one or not.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:59 am

Hakan:

are you Adlertags friend?

that post looked like something he would write.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:02 pm

IL, Håkan is a swedish name, and Adlertag is a norwegian name.

So I guess he comes from the yellow neutral territory that is bulged in between the german grey and proud fighting Norway/Finland territory.

Adler

General Mayhem

house rules

Post by General Mayhem » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:44 am

Two house rules that we have incorporated that our group really likes and always implement

1. Heroes. We picked this up off some A&A forum way back when. Mutilate one of each power's infantry units to make it stand out...lop off a leg, paint it, whatever. This is your national hero. He rolls two dice, as he has the strength of two men. Hero + artillary on attack = 3 dice at a two, for instance. He can only die once, however, so if he's the last man standing it only takes one hit to kill him. At the start of the game he is placed with wherever on the board you already have units, in addition to what's already there. When he dies, he can be rebought but has to be mobilized from a factory like everybody else.

2. Roll dice for NAs. The box says the players pick what they want, but we find it changes the game up a lot more if you roll for them. We generally roll for three NAs but have gone as low as one and as high as four.

We have also discussed incorporating the 12 IPC placement from AAE into revised. Each side gets to place 12 IPC worth of units wherever there are already units, or can divvy up the money. We're afraid it might seriously throw off the game balance though. (we don't do bidding. I've never been able to convince my group to do so. We pull our assigned power from a hat.)

Spunky

Post by Spunky » Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Here is a house rule for paratroopers. It explains some things I think would be obvious but its written this way because there are some people in my circle of players that dispute and ask for rule carifications as a tactic.

Paratroopers
A bomber can be used to transport one infantry unit instead of bombing. The bomber is still subject to all aircraft rules. The infantry to be transported must start in the same territory that the bomber starts in and can be dropped at any land territory along its rout. If the bomber is shot down by AA guns while the infantry is onboard, the infantry is automatically destroyed.
If the infantry unit is dropped into a hostile territory, the combat for that territory is considered to be an amphibious assault. The bomber cannot attack during this combat and must remain in the territory as a valid target for at least the first cycle of combat. If the territory has an AA gun the bomber must survive that attack before the infantry is dropped (the infantry unit itself is not subject to AA fire). If all bombers with infantry are shot down in a contested territory before they drop their infantry unit, amphibious rules still apply for the combat in that territory.
• If optional rules are being used, bombers that carry infantry do not get to use the Superfortresses advantage.

robdunbar69

Re: Good house rules

Post by robdunbar69 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Combine expain.pcs.Central powers&A&A accys pcs then w/D12 we roll end of trn to increace the buy list this can hold bk mines,v2s ect.till later rds par tp bombr.added&lose the half trks(use d20 if u include new world order pcs let the dice decide the buy
Use it up,or wear it out,make it do,or do without

robdunbar69

Re: Good house rules

Post by robdunbar69 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Earning the buy list for ea power puts various spins on ea.gm no2are the same,also a restrict.onV2s.allowed only toGer.all others re-roll a10,this rule may fix some of builder chris central power issues which i play wD12&v2 restrict.often ! rob new world?
Use it up,or wear it out,make it do,or do without