Submarine - Strikes: "On Station"

Closing in... This will be a slower and more deliberate process. It starts with Submarines and moves on from there. This is how I see it. Tell me what's wrong or right about each section. It's in your hands.
elbowmaster

Submarine - Strikes: "On Station"

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:18 am

Larry wrote:Submarines
(All die rolls are based on d12's)

Submarine-Strikes:When one or more enemy ships move into a sea zone or convoy zone occupied by one or more enemy submarines, “on station,” a submarine attack can occur. Each submarine present can roll 2 times. Each roll is against a designated target.
Note: If a submarine indicates that it is shooting at a particular ship – a carrier for example, and providing the defender has a destroyer with his task force, the taskforce controlling player can declare that the destroyer is screening the carrier and thus the sub must select another designated target. Each destroyer present can screen one other ship. If all the ships in a taskforce are screened than no particular ship can be designated as a target. If the sub hits, it then becomes up to the taskforce controlling player to select which ship takes the hit. .

Aircraft cannot be designated as targets. A roll of 2 or less is a hit and THE ship shot at (the designated target) must be immediately removed. After each submarine has rolled 2 dice and casualties have been removed, the submarine attack is over.
The “hunt and destroy” phase begins. Each destroyer, cruiser and aircraft (fighters and bombers) present can also roll up to 2 dice. These dice are rolled one at a time until either someone rolls a 4 or less or they run out of rolls. The first die roll of 4 or less signifies that a sub has been located and its location communicated to all. A second roll of 4 or less immediately sinks the located sub. Once all the subs and all the destroyers have fired the submarine-strike of the combat phase is over.

Clearing a sea zone of subs that are “On station”. You must dedicate a destroyer, cruiser or aircraft to the effort. If you survive the subs first rolls against your ships you may begin your hunt. If you role the necessary numbers (a 4 to find and 4 to sink) you can locate it and take a shot at it. If not, you missed, end of story. So… to attack a sub you must do two things right. Role the right numbers to locate it and then role the right numbers to sink it.
Any ships involved in the “hunt and destroy” phase can still participate in follow up naval battles. Aircraft however are considered “used” and must return to a base following the sub hunt and cannot be used for any other battles that may occur that turn.
lets talk about Submarine-Strikes!! "On-Station"
Last edited by elbowmaster on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:18 pm

Larry -
I like these rules better than ENR, (i love naval combat) as i said in the ENR section, i will get some people together and do some "playtesting" and write back.

I really, really dig these rules dude, you are second to done the man!!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:04 am

Is their any "off station " status for subs? Or should we use another term?
We need some real military nomenclature here to be accurate. Ill get it and post.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Re: Submarine - Strikes: "On Station"

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:16 am

Larry wrote:The “hunt and destroy” phase begins. Each destroyer, cruiser and aircraft (fighters and bombers) present can also roll up to 2 dice. These dice are rolled one at a time until either someone rolls a 4 or less or they run out of rolls. The first die roll of 4 or less signifies that a sub has been located and its location communicated to all. A second roll of 4 or less immediately sinks the located sub. Once all the subs and all the destroyers have fired the submarine-strike of the combat phase is over.
Larry, could you clarify the mechanics of "hunt and destroy" for me? If 2 subs and 2 DDs are present in the sea zone, is it:
  • The DDs each roll a die to locate the subs
    For each 4 or less rolled, one of the subs is located
    All the DDs each roll a die to attack the located sub(s) only
    For each 4 or less rolled, one of the located subs is destroyed
or
    If either DD rolls 4 or less, both of the subs are located
    All the DDs each roll a die to attack the located sub(s) only
or
    For each DD that rolls 4 or less, one of the subs is located
    Each DD that located a sub rolls a die to attack the located sub(s)
I guess the basic questions are:
  • Is one sub located per successful location roll, or does one successful location roll locate all subs?
    Do all ships and planes present get to attack located subs, or only the ships/planes that made successful location rolls?
Thanks.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:17 am

That last question was me. One of these days I'll get this log-in thing straight!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:33 am

WARDOG -
The best way to sum it up…
One sub is located per successful location roll. A successful location roll does not locate all subs, only one.

The two DD’s you mention in your example have a total of 4 rolls between them. Two each. DD-ALPHA rolls and it comes up 4… a sub is located.
The DD’s (DD-ALPHA AND DD-BETA) now have 3 rolls remaining…
Do they roll at the located sub or do they roll again to try to locate the 2nd sub?
Let’s say they roll against the located sub. Two die are roll, one at a time.
The second of the two die comes up “4”. A hit the sub is eliminated.
The two DD’s still have a die roll left. There really is not reason to roll it. If they do roll it and it come up 4, they do located the sub but have no shots left to sink it.

I hope this is as clear as mud this morning.. let me know if you get this or not. This is very important and should be written very clearly. Thanks for bringing it up.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:42 am

OK, I think I see what you mean. The first 4 or less locates a sub, and the second destroys it. So each DD has two rolls to use for either purpose. If the first DD locates the sub but does not destroy it, the second could use both of its rolls to attempt to destroy the sub. But what would be the advantage of locating a second sub before destroying the first?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 am

In a nutshell.. Two DD's have 4 die rolls. What they do with them is up to the controlling player. I suggest he use them wisely...