Submarines: ENR

Closing in... This will be a slower and more deliberate process. It starts with Submarines and moves on from there. This is how I see it. Tell me what's wrong or right about each section. It's in your hands.
elbowmaster

Submarines: ENR

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:20 am

Larry wrote:Submarines
(All die rolls are based on d12's)

ENR:During the collect income phase of a players turn he is subject to an Economic Naval Raid. These raids are conducted by submarines that are considered to be attacking his convoys. Each sub in a convoy zone (convoy zones located throughout the map) can roll one die.

a die roll of 1 to 3 does 0 IPC's of damage
a die roll of 4 to 6 does 1 IPC's of damage
a die roll of 7 to 9 does 2 IPC's of damage
a die roll of 10 to 12 does 3 IPC's of damage

...from the turn players collection of income.

No more than the total IPC value of the convoy zone can be lost per attack. Understand that more than one convoy zone can be attacked during this phase and each convoy zone can be attacked independently by more than one submarine.

Each defensive destroyer and/or Cruiser in a convoy zone can roll two dice. These rolls can both be to sink the submarine. This is done by rolling a 4 or less. However, the destroyer and/or cruiser player cannot roll to sink the submarine until he rolls a successful “hunt” die. A successful hunt die is a roll of 4 or less. In other words the submarine must be detected (located) before it can be attacked. In the perfect world the destroyer or cruiser rolls a 4 on its first roll. This locates the sub. It than can roll a “Kill” die. If it is a 4 or less it has eliminated a submarine. If there are two hunters, they have a total of 4 die rolls between themselves. They could use their first 3 rolls just trying to locate the sub and their final 4th roll to sink it.

A submarine may be moved into a convoy zone that is occupied by enemy ships (destroyers and/or cruisers). This will not cause a battle. Combat in a convoy zone only occurs if a submarine attacks the convoy and attempts to do IPC damage. Submarines may be moved into a convoy zone either during the combat of non-combat phase.

Submarines cannot fire at enemy ships (destroyers and/or cruisers) in a convoy zone during this ENR attack. This is limited to producing IPC damage to convoy zones. Once the subs have all fired and the defensive force have all fired the ENR phase is over.

In a convoy zone defending destroyers and cruisers can also hunt and attack a submarine that does not attack them. If a submarine elects to not conduct an ENR attack during the Collect Income phase of the surface ships turn, the surface ships can begin a sub hunt. However a lower "find" number is required in order to locate the non-attacking sub(s). To find a sub that has not attacked, you must roll a 1 or 2. Normally a sub can be located by rolling a 4 or less.
lets talk about ENR...
Last edited by elbowmaster on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:50 am

the nice part about this is that the Convoy Country may want to as a strategy stockpile Destroyers to cover the convoy... nice work larry...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

kurt3892

Post by kurt3892 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Does the submarine have a shot to sink the attacking destroyer during an ENR raid?

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:14 pm

Larry -
I think you've created an excellent rule here, i think it will work nicely.
I will try to get some people together to "playtest" this and write back with our thoughts.

You are the man!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 pm

yes, this is a great place to start...friggen subs ;)

i like the concept alot...do you think there will be a couple of german 1 ipc convoy zones? like in baltic, south atlantic near argentina...???

ive already started gaming again with d12's, and changed the values, some larry's (what he's posted) and others Il's...

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:21 pm

I agree with Lbow, Germany, Italy, and Japan, should all have at least one Convoy box that can be ENR'd. Japan could have two or three to be honest.

Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:25 pm

well if larry is using his pacific map as a template, i think the pacific is covered...europe / atlantic is where the adjustments need to be made...

keep in mind, we will have africa, south america, and central america / panama in this game...

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:28 pm

:D DROOL!!!
yes! I know, I really stoked about the merging of Europe and Pacific!!

Adolf Hitler