3 levels of Victory Cities

Proposed Victory Conditions based on points.
elbowmaster

3 levels of Victory Cities

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:22 am

Larry wrote:
There will be 3 levels of Victory Cities. The more important ones are worth 20 points, followed by 15 and finally 10 point cities.

The loss of a capital costs a player all his money and the ability to build new units. All capitals are also 20 point cities.

On the map, the cities will be colored coded. The cities will be one of the three value levels (20, 15, and 10).

20 point cities are:
Washington
London
Moscow
Berlin
Rome
Tokyo

15 point cities are:
San Francisco
Calcutta
Stalingrad
Paris
Athens (Greece will be a new territory)
Peiping

10 Point cities are:
Honolulu
Manila (The Philippines are American at the beginning of the game)
Panama
Canberra
Cairo
Sinapore
Leningrad
Baku (Southern Caucasus – The Caucasus as shown on the map will be made into two territories)
Vladivostok
Oslo
Warsaw
Budapest
Tripoli
Mogadiscio (Italian Somaliland)
Sicily (To be added to the map)
Okinawa
Seoul (Korea to be added)
Formosa (To be added to map)

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:08 am

I like all the victory conditions!

I difinitely think the main rule book could have 3 or 4 victory conditions to choose from... and maybe these will be hard to developed till most of the game is finished.... but difinitely more is always better... and the instructions that come with the game should point everyone to www.harrisgamedesign.com for the latest "Official Optional Rules" kinda like Larry Harris Tournment Rules was made after the release.... and I think Official is difinitely the way to go.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:36 am

I guess this list is okay, but what about tobruk?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:36 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
20 point cities are:
Washington
London
Moscow
Berlin
Rome
Tokyo

15 point cities are:
Los Angeles
Calcutta
Stalingrad
Paris
Athens (Greece will be a new territory)
Peiping

10 Point cities are:
Honolulu
Manila (The Philippines are American at the beginning of the game)
Panama
Melborne
Cairo
Sinapore
Leningrad
Tiflis (Southern Caucasus – The Caucasus as shown on the map will be made into two territories)
Vladivostok
Oslo
Warsaw
Bucharest
Tripoli
Mogadiscio (Italian Somaliland)
Sicily (To be added to the map)
Okinawa
Seoul (Korea to be added)
Formosa (To be added to map)
If this idea is what we have to work with, Id consider some changes with respect to which cities you have considered and some of their values.

Mogadiscio (proper name=Italian Somaliland) has no relavence as a victory city and was not important for anybodys war effort.

Seoul is very questionable as well, Japan owned it since 1910 and its strategic value does not merit its awarding of victory city status.

Formosa was owned by Japan for even longer and has no value other than a good place to make toy soldiers

New list: 42 cities total

20 points: 6 cities
All capitals of each major power

15 points: 12 cities
Paris
Chungking
Los Angeles
Bombay
Stalingrad
Leningrad
Cairo
Warsaw
Manila
Singapore
Hawaii
Canberra

10 points: 24 cities
Baku
Keiv
Kursk
Astrakhan
Bucharest
Budapest
Belgrade
Helsinki
Antwerp
Tobruk
Panama
Vladivostok
Okinawa
Seoul
Gibratar
Brazil
Athens
Mosul
Calcutta
Istanbul
Tunis
Guadalcanal
Port Moresby
Hsingking ( capital of Manchukuo- note: it was not called Manchuria till after the war)

Oil Centers dont count for points but are listed as follows:
Caucasus
Ploesti
Dutch East Indies
Maikop

HONERABLE MENTION (for victory cities but didnt make it for some justification...)
OSLO
ROSTOV-ON-DON
MADRID
PEIPING
NANKING
MALTA
ANKARA
KHARKOV
SOFIA
MILAN
STOCKHOLM
SHANGHAI
MIDWAY
CHICAGO
CAPETOWN
ARCHANGEL
RIGA
MUNICH

I have quite a but of rational for each choice, so just ask

Capitals:
loss of a capital does not end things, this has to be improved upon. You just lose all your money when you lose all your factories, which forfets your ability to build anyway, your stocks of resources are taken if your ability to build things is gone. A lost capital is not in itself the end of production. Factories still turn out war goods. So to summarize you only lose the value of the territory not all your money. Please think this thru...

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:37 pm

Guerrilla Guy wrote:Larry,

I assume Athens is the #2 Italian City... I would make it Tripoli... makes Afrika more of a Target for the Allies... Athens would be a Ten pointer

I would also make Khursk a VC instead of Tiflis

Oil Derricks maybe worth 10 points? Isn't Oil calc. by Territory IPC's X Oil amount?

love the System seems as an easy flow point system...

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:41 pm

Larry wrote:Imp: You say – “ If this idea is what we have to work with” Well it is.
I don’t need you telling me what the proper name for Mogadiscio is.
I think Mogadiscio does have relevance!
You question Seoul being on my list but yet you list it on your list (?)
I don’t, at all, understand your suggestion that Formosa should not be listed, but yet you list Midway.
Your quote
“Certainly there are better choices for a pacific oriented city, Hello? Singapore? Manila?”
– Hello? Take another look, they are both listed
I’m not interested in 30 point cities. At that rate one city would be worth all the IPC points some countries earn.
I think I want to continue the rule of having to forfeit any IPC’s you have if and when you lose your capital. This, to me, represents a disrupted economy and social order.
As for “thinking this thru..” Thanks for your lofty advice. Next time I’ll try harder.

GG :Tripoli cannot compare to Athens in importance. Tripoli does its job in Africa. It gets the attention of the Allies and the Axis will certainly fight to defend it..

I feel that Khursk is to close to Moscow. Tiflis is the capital city of the Caucasus – however, Baku is perhaps better known. I’m considering changing Tiflis to Baku.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:44 pm

TMTM wrote:I like the points system. Will it have production card to keep track like IPC's?

Hong Kong is a city not listed.

Bankok, Th

Juno, AK USA

Canada could have some cities.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Larry wrote:TMTM
It was between Singapore and Hong Kong. I did not want both. I have the impression that Singapore was more important during the 1940’s. This could be changed.

You are of course right about Bankok. I might use it instead of Seoul, Okinawa or Formosa. I have not decided yet. I’m concerned about the proximity of Bankok and Calcutta. Their presence turns the region into a real hot bed of activity that I’m not keen on.

Juno is interesting and certainly Canada deserves some consideration.
Thanks – good suggestions.