What I would like Larry to design

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
suit

Re: What I would like Larry to design

Post by suit » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:57 pm

...these ships would have a fabulous firepower of 5 and a lousy defense of 2. Having been built by creatures who have no knowledge of deep water naval ships. Also cannot defend against earth submarines, so they are paired with a much smaller version of it, with stats of 3/1, which can defend against submarines.

Both are armed with only the Heat Wave, as gas is worthless against Earth Naval ships that have gone Circle W. Movement of one for the large ship and two for the smaller one. Both can transport, a large or two mini-walkers, and, a mini-tripod for the smaller ship. For each unit they carry, a reduction by one for attack purposes. The carry units are just cargo, if ship is sunk, they are lost.

Both ships come into play after turn two, and, after turn six, due to an upgrade any newly given large ship, takes two hits to sink. One hit and to repair itself, it needs to return to its home port, for one turn.

Just like the flying machine, theses sea-craft, were not planned and only built after the invasion started. Earth’s higher gravity, thicker atmosphere, &, the properties of an Sea/Ocean place limitations, on theses machines!
Last edited by suit on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

suit

Post by suit » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:16 pm

The final mini would be The Embankment Machine, akin to a Martian bulldozer/digger. Helps build fortifications, like the factories, only seven are available. They increase the defense of a captured province by one, can move one space at a time.

Cannot be replaced, by itself has no A/D, cannot be captured as it automatically destroys itself. Again can be in a form of a mini or 2-D token of a bulldozer/digger pictured on one side, and, the continent it originally comes down on the other side. Thanks, Pellulo

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am

suit wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 pm
I would do it on also the ease of play, some can get proficient with a set of Allies and Axis Powers(in a specific geographic area).

But the main reason is to avoid another anniversary syndrome game, just too damm expensive, and, you have too wait many years, before you see a reissue.

Players deserve a least a set of affordable games, or, if a big global game, a less expensive version of this sea thyme game, thanks, Pellulo
El cheapo is not doing as well as "luxified" on Kickstarter. People want nice things and they will pay for them! With mass markets being dead, today it is about the niche markets. That means dealing with VERY selective potential buyers instead of a whole lot of "lowest common denominator" types. From this point one can move forward onto the next one, which is these people do not want a simple basic game. Something more is needed.

Given the REAL history of the USN involved the Two Ocean Navy Act and the REAL history of the RN involved an empire holding 25% of this planet's land mass (The sun never sets on the British Empire), only offering half a loaf is cheating the potential buyer who is VERY likely wanting the full meal deal. Fail to manage your global deployments well and guess what happens? Yeah, I'll give you three guesses...LOL!

Oh, let's not forget the Red Navy. Arctic Ocean, Baltic Sea, Black Sea, Pacific Ocean. None of these seas are close to each other for the Soviet player. Play this side which has few assets poorly and an Axis Power gets free reign in these bodies of water. What, you like the idea of no Murmansk convoys or no old dreadnoughts giving artillery support to the defenders of the former Imperial Russian capital? Those were relatively small but important parts of WW2 naval warfare.

Best to make the best game possible instead of cheaping out. Who gives a rat's ass about the lousy current version of A&A that can't even include IPC's? NO ONE. Then look at what an used Anniversary Edition fetches on eBay. Get the point now Pellulo?

Rick
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

suit

Post by suit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Well I believe in choice, if you want the expensive version get it, the basic version broken down into two games(get one of them), getting both games to make a global so be it. Sticking to one format, shuts too many people out.

Allot people have a budget, and, they have to do what works for them, for me LCD low costs games works for me. Do not care what Anniversary games costs, used or new or the reissue, there is a point for what I am not willing to pay.

Heck if WOTC wants to make a Zombie game, so be it, costs or the need to play it, factors in for me. I learn a long time ago, that people vote with their wallet. Really high price board games, just to cash in on the brand name, even if it is a good game, allot seem to fall into the bargain bin(like the section in The Complete Strategist, just off the Empire State Building, mid-Manhattan Island, a corner section of all games around 50% off).

Like killing the goose for the golden eggs.

So like the rodent’s rear end, we both can disagree of the next A and A games will be, and, hopefully something might come along, that we can both buy one day.

PS It was “The Sun Never Sets On The Spanish Empire” first, spanish kings of the early renaissance found themselves, in the bad habit, of being the most powerful and weakest monarchs in Europe. Being king of Spain, ruler of the Netherlands, controlling close to 2/3 of Italy 🇮🇹, Emperor of Austrian Empire(maybe a bit of Hungary attached to it), Emperor of The Holy Roman Empire, and, Emperor of the Portuguese Empire(much less overseas territories, trading posts, and colonies, in the Americas, Africa, India, and, Japan). It was not unified by any one set of law, nationalism crept in, and, caused burnout for theses rulers.

PSS you need blow up boxes, like in the original Axis and Allies game, to show more detail, especially the sub traps, U.K. had ‘tween Ireland and England, &, The German Net that block Soviet Subs. from getting into the North Seas.

PSSS In the early eighties, got those great CHEAPIE game-master games, in a Queens Department Store, a few stops where I got off the E/F train at Kew Gardens. At being such cheap games of $16.00 each, I enjoyed playing Fortress America, Broadsides and Boarding Parties, Shogun, Axis and Allies, and, Conquest of the Empire(I wrote Milton Bradley Company, and, order it through the mail from them).

To para-phase Stalin: “Quantity has a certain Quality to it”

PSSSS Good luck, in getting the game you want, I know I got what I wanted, Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Last Notes:

Again the units supplied would be on up to ten rounds of Martian reinforcements, with a third of all the units introduced, in the first round. The Aliens do not buy any units, a throwback to the way units were introduced, let us say in Axis and Allies Battle of the Bulge Game.

They win by the number of spaces, they occupy, at the end of the game of all land areas. So they will need lots of markers to show ownership, also they do not need to leave a unit in it, to garrison it.

Victory, a major one if they control three quarters and up(7 capitals). Moderate is just below three quarters to half(6 capitals), and, minor is just below half to a third(5 capitals). Having a Alien Air/Space Unit fly over a territory does not give it ownership.

The earth forces either has the forces to win, or, has to yield to a Alien Victory Condition.

You can always “Sour Grapes” an alien victory. Throw the dice, 1-2 they all die from earthly microbes, 3-4 some survive and turn off their machines and write off the invasion as a waste and head back to Mars, and, 5 the few survivors are not allowed back home(live their remaining lives on Mar’s two moons), but, on die roll of 6 some sneak back home(so Mars is now a Red Mostly Dead/Dead Planet). Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am

Now for a 1943 game...

suit

Post by suit » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Using the boards, from the 1940 Europe & Pacific Sets, to form a global set*. About half through the original time period, of a global six year time period of W.W.II. So let’s us say September 2, 1942, the Martins invade...

The units for earth defense, of all Axis and Allies would be: BB, C, DD, AC, sub., and, transport, for sea.
Bomber, fighter/fighter bomber, AA gun, for air. Infantry, artillery, armor, APC, for land forces.

Being a turn limited game, let us say a limit of twelve turns, each turn is three months long, for a total of three years. By the last turn, the earth forces have 2X A-Bombs, that can be dropped and destroy Martian forces, in any space, with no defense...

*Or let us say a board made at least half as large of a basic 1940 board. Please no tiny boards like 1941 set!

suit

Post by suit » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 pm

The Martian units are given out, they cannot purchase any, and, in Round One one third of them are place on the board. Cause of sneak attack in round one, terrain forces only defend on one. In order to win, they must take all capitals and at least two thirds of land hexes.h

Only for round one, all Martian units are limited to one attack(including air and sea), not like the 1917 game, they are always limited all sides to one attack on land.

The land units are: Large and small Tri-Pods, the large ones attack and defend on three, while the smaller one is just an Martian Infantryman encase in a suit of armor with attack and defense of a two. The large unit still looks like it’s WWI counterpart, while the smaller one looks quite like a humanoid shape robot(encasing a Martian trooper). Movement of two and one, while the Martian 👽 infantry of one unit, can hitch a ride on the larger unit(the infantry can soak up a hit, but, cannot fight while being transported).

Their factory and construction piece, limited one per continent, can be plastic or just a 2-D token. These two units are placed on round one, and, can never be replaced. The former is where their reinforcements come from, and, the latter makes defensive works. They cannot be captured, destroyed automatically if other units, in the same hex are destroyed.

Borrowing from the movie George Pal made in 1953, the large Tripod just seems to float in the air(it’s three legs nearly invisible)as it moves, while the infantryman actually walks. Both have the famed “Heat Ray”, skipping the poison gas weapon. Also the large tripod has a type of invisible shielding, that absorbs a hit, before going down(quite weaker than the movie one).

The air units and sea units are...