What I would like Larry to design

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
suit

Re: What I would like Larry to design

Post by suit » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:13 am

Some artillery action:
They were described as “vast spiderlike machines, nearly a hundred feet high, capable of the speed of an express train, and able to shoot out a beam of intense heat.” Masked batteries, chiefly of field guns, had been planted in the country about Horsell Common, and especially between the Woking district and London. Five of the machines had been seen moving towards the Thames, and one, by a happy chance, had been destroyed. In the other cases the shells had missed, and the batteries had been at once annihilated by the Heat-Rays. Heavy losses of soldiers were mentioned, but the tone of the dispatch was optimistic.

Re-reading the novel, The London and surrounding area is in ruins, two Tri-Pods are destroyed at sea, another two by artillery fire, while a third is damaged by artillery. The majority of guns and their crews are silenced by the black poison smoke, they never have a chance to fire. While the rest are destroyed by the Heat Wave.

The Black Poison Gas was improvised by the Martians when they lost their first Tri-Pod Walker to an artillery ambush. After all, they could not call Mars to send more heavier armored Walkers to Earth.

In the 1917 game, the more common use of gas mask, and, more protected clothing would lessen greatly the gas. Also guns and their range have grown in 1917, as compared to the late nineteenth century artillery mention in the novel, thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:10 pm

The effects of gas attack:

...”The flying people on foot and in vehicles grew more numerous every moment. “Black Smoke!” he heard people crying, and again “Black Smoke!” The contagion of such a unanimous fear was inevitable. As my brother hesitated on the door-step, he saw another newsvendor approaching, and got a paper forthwith. The man was running away with the rest, and selling his papers for a shilling each as he ran—a grotesque mingling of profit and panic.

And from this paper my brother read that catastrophic dispatch of the Commander-in-Chief:
“The Martians are able to discharge enormous clouds of a black and poisonous vapour by means of rockets. They have smothered our batteries, destroyed Richmond, Kingston, and Wimbledon, and are advancing slowly towards London, destroying everything on the way. It is impossible to stop them. There is no safety from the Black Smoke but in instant flight.”

That was all, but it was enough. The whole population of the great six-million city was stirring, slipping, running; presently it would be pouring en masse northward. “Black Smoke!” the voices cried.

For game purposes Black Smoke for civilians and military would be considered a great danger, but, after round one protection would be standard for armed forces and civilians. Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:16 pm

The effects of an artillery ambush:

It was this howling and firing of the guns at Ripley and St. George’s Hill that we had heard at Upper Halliford. The Ripley gunners, unseasoned artillery volunteers who ought never to have been placed in such a position, fired one wild, premature, ineffectual volley, and bolted on horse and foot through the deserted village, while the Martian, without using his Heat-Ray, walked serenely over their guns, stepped gingerly among them, passed in front of them, and so came unexpectedly upon the guns in Painshill Park, which he destroyed.

The St. George’s Hill men, however, were better led or of a better mettle. Hidden by a pine wood as they were, they seem to have been quite unsuspected by the Martian nearest to them. They laid their guns as deliberately as if they had been on parade, and fired at about a thousand yards’ range.
The shells flashed all round him, and he was seen to advance a few paces, stagger, and go down. Everybody yelled together, and the guns were reloaded in frantic haste.

The overthrown Martian set up a prolonged ululation, and immediately a second glittering giant, answering him, appeared over the trees to the south. It would seem that a leg of the tripod had been smashed by one of the shells. The whole of the second volley flew wide of the Martian on the ground, and, simultaneously, both his companions brought their Heat-Rays to bear on the battery. The ammunition blew up, the pine trees all about the guns flashed into fire, and only one or two of the men who were already running over the crest of the hill escaped.

After this it would seem that the three(Tri-Pod Walkers) took counsel together and halted, and the scouts who were watching them report that they remained absolutely stationary for the next half hour. The Martian who had been overthrown crawled tediously out of his hood, a small brown figure, oddly suggestive from that distance of a speck of blight, and apparently engaged in the repair of his support. About nine he had finished, for his cowl was then seen above the trees again.

For game purposes Walkers, especially the smaller ones, are destroyed on one hit, and, are not repairable for the 1917 game. Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Ambush and completely destroyed Martian Tri-Pod Walker:

In another moment it was on the bank, and in a stride wading halfway across. The knees of its foremost legs bent at the farther bank, and in another moment it had raised itself to its full height again, close to the village of Shepperton.

Forthwith the six guns which, unknown to anyone on the right bank, had been hidden behind the outskirts of that village, fired simultaneously. The sudden near concussion, the last close upon the first, made my heart jump. The monster was already raising the case generating the Heat-Ray as the first shell burst six yards above the hood.

I gave a cry of astonishment. I saw and thought nothing of the other four Martian monsters; my attention was riveted upon the nearer incident. Simultaneously two other shells burst in the air near the body as the hood twisted round in time to receive, but not in time to dodge, the fourth shell.
The shell burst clean in the face of the Thing. The hood bulged, flashed, was whirled off in a dozen tattered fragments of red flesh and glittering metal.

“Hit!” shouted I, with something between a scream and a cheer. I heard answering shouts from the people in the water about me. I could have leaped out of the water with that momentary exultation.

The decapitated colossus reeled like a drunken giant; but it did not fall over. It recovered its balance by a miracle, and, no longer heeding its steps and with the camera that fired the Heat-Ray now rigidly upheld, it reeled swiftly upon Shepperton. The living intelligence, the Martian within the hood, was slain and splashed to the four winds of heaven, and the Thing was now but a mere intricate device of metal whirling to destruction. It drove along in a straight line, incapable of guidance. It struck the tower of Shepperton Church, smashing it down as the impact of a battering ram might have done, swerved aside, blundered on and collapsed with tremendous force into the river out of my sight.

A violent explosion shook the air, and a spout of water, steam, mud, and shattered metal shot far up into the sky. As the camera of the Heat-Ray hit the water, the latter had immediately flashed into steam. In another moment a huge wave, like a muddy tidal bore but almost scaldingly hot, came sweeping round the bend upstream. I saw people struggling shorewards, and heard their screaming and shouting faintly above the seething and roar of the Martian’s collapse.

The Poison Gas help root out hidden gun batteries for the Martian Invaders. For game purposes the Heat Wave will be the invaders weapon of choice. Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:10 am

A gunner experience with the Tri-Pod Walkers:

Later this shield staggered up on tripod legs and became the first of the fighting-machines I had seen. The gun he drove had been unlimbered near Horsell, in order to command the sand-pits, and its arrival it was that had precipitated the action. As the limber gunners went to the rear, his horse trod in a rabbit hole and came down, throwing him into a depression of the ground.

At the same moment the gun exploded behind him, the ammunition blew up, there was fire all about him, and he found himself lying under a heap of charred dead men and dead horses.
“I lay still,” he said, “scared out of my wits, with the fore quarter of a horse atop of me. We’d been wiped out. And the smell—good God! Like burnt meat! I was hurt across the back by the fall of the horse, and there I had to lie until I felt better. Just like parade it had been a minute before—then stumble, bang, swish!”

“Wiped out!” he said.

We had hid under the dead horse for a long time, peeping out furtively across the common. The Cardigan men had tried a rush, in skirmishing order, at the pit, simply to be swept out of existence.

Then the monster had risen to its feet and had begun to walk leisurely to and fro across the common among the few fugitives, with its headlike hood turning about exactly like the head of a cowled human being. A kind of arm carried a complicated metallic case, about which green flashes scintillated, and out of the funnel of this there smoked the Heat-Ray.

In a few minutes there was, so far as the soldier could see, not a living thing left upon the common, and every bush and tree upon it that was not already a blackened skeleton was burning. The hussars had been on the road beyond the curvature of the ground, and he saw nothing of them. He heard the Maxims rattle for a time and then become still.

The giant saved Woking station and its cluster of houses until the last; then in a moment the Heat-Ray was brought to bear, and the town became a heap of fiery ruins. Then the Thing shut off the Heat-Ray, and turning its back upon the artilleryman, began to waddle away towards the smouldering pine woods that sheltered the second cylinder. As it did so a second glittering Titan built itself up out of the pit.

For all games, the dreaded Heat Wave is treated like a wide spread out laser like beam. Having great destruction, but, scarified any great range of distance. Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 am

Heat Ray Workings:

It is still a matter of wonder how the Martians are able to slay men so swiftly and so silently. Many think that in some way they are able to generate an intense heat in a chamber of practically absolute non-conductivity. This intense heat they project in a parallel beam against any object they choose, by means of a polished parabolic mirror of unknown composition, much as the parabolic mirror of a lighthouse projects a beam of light.

But no one has absolutely proved these details. However it is done, it is certain that a beam of heat is the essence of the matter. Heat, and invisible, instead of visible, light. Whatever is combustible flashes into flame at its touch, lead runs like water, it softens iron, cracks and melts glass, and when it falls upon water, incontinently that explodes into steam.

The Martian Heat Ray is definitely not a flamethrower type weapon, more like a spread out and limited distance laser. Going by the book, maybe a bit like a particle beam combine with a laser. Something like a steampunk version of a phaser. Thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:50 pm

:mrgreen: The 1917 game is the closes to the Original The War of the Worlds novel, combined with an Axis & Allies 1914 game. Of course 1917 is my favorite version, the 1942 and 2025 games with feedback and thoughts, I will leave to my fellow players(also of course if added by WOTC, and, of Larry). A little later, may you board-game under a dry roof and earth quack free area(we had in the last month, over 3000, luckily most are minor), thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 am

suit wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:17 pm
The temptation is the use of Nuclear, Biological, and, Chemical weapons or N.B.C. Of course these “Sour Grapes” weapons might deny the Earth to the invaders, but, makes the planet pretty much useless to its inhabitants.

Finally if you go by the book and movies, Nukes did not work against the Martian Shielding, Biological Defense by the Martians was quite inadequate, and, Poison Gas was a quite effective weapon, probably better than the fame Heat Ray...