Favorite World War II movie

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.

Post by Vader218 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Letters from Iwo Jima is a good movie. Good cinematography, not too much CGG (watch "Pearl Harbor"), good acting and a good script. However, I didn't like how Kuribayashi shot himself with a Colt 1911 formerly presented by the Americans (him being of samurai descent).
Eastwood said:
The script originally had Kuribayashi committing seppuku [ritual suicide, or hara-kiri] with his sword, and Ken said "with all the starvation and dehydration, I'd be so weakened that I don't think I'd have the strength do this, so couldn't I just shoot myself instead?" At first I thought there's nothing very fancy about using a gun instead of the formal ritual, but [then] I thought, "well, suppose he received a gun as a gift in the party scene with the Americans," and then I added some dialogue where the Japanese soldiers see Kuribayashi's pistol and speculate about how he might've gotten it. You see the gun throughout the film, but it doesn't come back into play until Kuribayashi's final scene.
Unlikely imo. I guess Ken Watanabe didn't like to do the same scene as in "The Last Samurai".

Re: Favorite World War II movie

Post by robdunbar69 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 am

A bridge too far(oper.market garden) perfect example of what happens when7Ps rule is forgotten prior,proper,planning,prevents,piss,poor,performance! not to mention the cast of actors-awesome!
Use it up,or wear it out,make it do,or do without