What I would like Larry to design

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
suit

Re: What I would like Larry to design

Post by suit » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:09 pm

A multi-purpose ship, that is equivalent to a BB with an attack and defense of 5/4, flip down the superstructure and you have an Aircraft Carrier(A/D of 2/3) that can carry one air unit. Only allowed the change once per turn. Also the air unit may be taken as a hit, for the A.C., with both versions having shielding, and, being capital ships needing two more additional hits to sink. Can be repaired at a friendly port for the next round.

Movement a disappointing one space at a time, improving to two, after round four. Again they were made as potential weapon systems, only if a quick victory was not achieved, introduction in round two only.

Mars failed to take into account large ships of a blue ocean navy, having lost its oceans ages ago. Also a A/D factor of 0/0 against submarines. The Heat Ray cannot boíl away water fast enough to get to a submerged submarine.

To...

suit

Post by suit » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:04 pm

...counter the threat of submarine, the Martians hastily made a DD type ship, that moves three spaces, and, can drop kinetic type mines, to defend Martian capital ships. Attacks and Defends on a two, always paired with a capital ship.

Does not act independent, and, only comes into play after round two. Such a rush job, only after round four, does it have any shielding.

Again poor planning has this unit movement of three spaces, when it is always stuck paired up with much slower units. Has the ability to carry as cargo, one mini tripod, with the defense of one.

Finally air units, but, first...

suit

Post by suit » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Such a game if ever made(a 1942 edition), would have what mind of cover art. The usual leaders, generals and admirals paired against each other, my nomination would be at least Patton, and, on the other side that Cold War Fink Stalin. In the middle, a bit to the right, a large Martian Tripod, with its tentacles 🦑 grabbing some poor souls(maybe some Quisling type characters).

Perhaps a Martian sea craft getting torpedo, with a picture of French civilians clogging the roads, trying not to escape a Stuka Dive Bomber, but, a Tri-Pod. Finally in one of the lower corners, a Orson Wells type character on a radio mike, reporting on Axis and Allies War of The World Game.

Next reinforcements and cards...

suit

Post by suit » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Cards would be like used in the Axis & Allies D-Day game, with a bit copied from The Fortress America game. Great for getting partisans and regular/emergency forces sometimes behind enemy lines, you’ll need them, considering the Martians units are so hard to destroy.

The units given by cards, are extra forces, they do not come from the units on the placement card.

Also placement card giving Earth Forces a pre-determine number of a variety of units per turn, as seen in Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge Game. The Martians get a third of their forces in round one. Always the same number of units for the the remaining rounds, yet they decide how many they want to send to each continent. Unless it is the 21st. Century timeline, you might skip Antartica for the 1917 and 1942 games.

Also only in round two or/and four usually certain Martian units will be released for use.

Next some near earth or suborbital units, for the 21st. Century timeline game...

suit

Post by suit » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Being creatures that come from a planet with about 1% the thickness of Earth’s atmosphere, flying machines are not the Martian’s Forte/Strength. After all they landed on Earth discharged like an artillery shell from their home planet. Then they dug themselves out of the cráter they created.

Eventually having to face fixed wing and other types of flying machines, they realized they could not just from one site, to another travel like they did to Earth. One way, at least to move a unit is suborbital flight, one move from let us say from America’s to Europe. Let us say the ship has shielding, no weapons, and, faces a reprogram satellite(s) or a launched non-nuclear I.C.B.M. trying to ram it/explode against it. The latter Earth weapons could be just a 2-D token.

Such a mode of travel could be iffy, so again some sort of machinery has to be built, to be ready to be issued for Turn Two. Of course backup blueprints and untried units are readied for combat.

They are...

suit

Post by suit » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:45 pm

A powerful bomber with attack and defense of 5/2. Unfortunately dealing with such a thick earth atmosphere, it has a range of only three. It can cruise quite high and fast, safe from terrain A.A. Gun/Missiles and interceptor Jets. Still it would have to deal with an possible satellite ramming attack, with A/D stats of a puny one & no shielding when flying so high.

Next a Martian Attack Copter...

suit

Post by suit » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Think of a Huey Copter on steroids, this bad boy has A/D of four, shielding, and, movement of two. It can carry any one land unit, but, A/D falls to a two. The unit is cargo, it does not count for any hits taken, if the Copter is lost, so is the cargo.

Again with such advance tech., it cannot go far in such a thick “Earth Atmosphere”. It also for non-game purposes drops Poison Gas on populated areas, any Copter that is brought down, usually has no survivors/rescue attempt of the crew(especially when the “peaceful populace” gets their hand on the crew).

Definitely no Geneva War rules apply here.

Next all purpose fighter...

suit

Post by suit » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:21 pm

This multi-purpose fighter is also a bomber, and, can hover for short periods like a Copter. Has a attack and defense of 4/3, and, much like the bomber its stats fall to one while on a high altitude bombing mission.

It has the same problem with shielding as the bomber, and, drops kinetic bombs like the bomber. The saving grace of this high point of Martian flying machines is that it can actually move four spaces for movement.

Finally in Copter Mode can dispense Poison Gas, and, receives the same reception if ever downed from the local friendly populace.

Next upgrades...