What I would like Larry to design

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
suit

Re: What I would like Larry to design

Post by suit » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:58 pm

And now the Sea Minis for the Axis and Allies Theme War of the Worlds 1917 game:

The first mini, is a late nineteen century ironclad, that somehow survived to 1917. It might have been kept as a training ship, and, only patrol and guarded a particular S. E. English Port in Essex, off the River Blackwater, that saved it from the scrape heap. This particular tie in to H.G. Wells “The War of the Worlds” is called the Thunder Child,
HMS Argus the first flat Top Aircraft Carrier,
Battle Cruiser Hood(the same one though modernize was sunk in real life, by the GE. Bismarck in WW Two),
Float planes that are launched from ships,
Submarine single and three molded together to form a “Wolf Pack”,
Torpedo Boats,
The ships built to deal with the above called Destroyers,
Light and Heavy Cruisers(the Battle Cruiser would be a real Big Cruiser),
Battleships,
Transports coming in a single ship, to three molded together to represent a convoy,
and, the Dreadnoughts an earlier version of an Battleship. Think Teddy Roosevelt’s “Great White Fleet”, much more modern than the “Thunder Child”, yet, obsolete by the time the Great War came around,
Coastal/Harbor artillery, and, a version molded inside a fort(making it harder to destroy),
and, so forth.

Last edited by suit on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

suit

Post by suit » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

And now for AirPower:
Balloons stationary sited ones, where a machine gun crew was stationed, in a gondola beneath it, also used for observation purposes,
Zeppelins and the really big ones, that had Fighter Aircraft in a hanger(a flying air base),
Steam Punk Zepp. that is armor plated,
Sopwith Pup,
Sopwith Camel,
Fokker DR-1,
Fokker D VII,
Spad VII,
Spad XIII(true Fighter-Bombers had to wait real time for W.W.II),
countless models were out in 1917, a few were monoplane design,
As for Bombers:
Goth,
Handley Page, and, so forth.
With any reverse engineering(from captured/salvaged Martian stuff), fighters and bombers might make a quick leap to Craft used in real-time W.W.II, thanks, Pellulo

suit

Post by suit » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 pm

And now for what reverse engineering minis could be, first of all they would be of limited full use to earth forces.

1. Going by the book, t.v. show, and, the latest mini- series, the Martians controlled and use their machinery via thought control. An average person could not control or fully work their devices.

To adapt it for use, more personal to actually run a device, or, scale down(and weaker version of say the Heat Wave). Also you could just build, practically all earth machine shop parts of a Heat Wave, still it probably be of a less potent nature and/or need a heck of allot of space and people to work it.
Think big time steam-punk styling of these devices(see the illustration of the tank crew inside British Mark IV tank, with their gas masks on).

suit

Post by suit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am

2. Potency of these modified weapons, let us say the Poison Gas, using earth base gas(there is a possibility their gas, might have no effect on them, of course using captured stock you find out soon if their own gas will kill Martians). But using their delivery device, or, a copy on trucks/flatbed rail stock, firing onto their staging areas, bases, their front lines, would definitely be a pay back.

The minis cold be a cloud but instead of Black Smoke, a nice annoying Red Smoke for our Martian friends.

suit

Post by suit » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 am

Another potent weapon, only hinted at in the book, maybe used in the 1917 board game, would be flight, or, more correctly Levitation. If you seen the covers of the first The War of the Worlds books, Tri-Pods were not very aerodynamically built, some sort of anti-gravity device has to be used. After all being shot as a artillery shell, might be good for interplanetary travel, but, useless for air combat.

It would have to be powerful, to move a Tri-Pod through an atmosphere, that is 100 times thicker than Mars, much less three times the gravity. Since these Tri-Pods for the 1917 minis game scenarios have no shielding, they probably would not travel too fast. They would be more like, floating gun platforms, than rapid movement units.

Their minis would be a floating Tripod, underneath in miniature a city, to give it an illusion of flight.

Now if the earth forces reverse engineering some of this Martian technology, they...

suit

Post by suit » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Could probably upgrade their air arm like this, the ability to scramble. A squadron of fighters and bombers are needed right away, just start the engines, no need to take off down a runway, especially bombers with a full load.

The aircraft now go straight up into the sky, once they reach the desire height, the levitation mechanisms are turned off, and, they go onto their mission. The same can be done returning from a mission, badly damaged machine with their injured? crew, do not have to try to make a landing, they just float gently down onto the field.

Also some acts of an anti-gravity machine, can be utilized to increase the speed of an aircraft...

suit

Post by suit » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:41 pm

In real-time W.W.I Aircraft started the war at about 70mph and ended the war going top speed of 140mph. A test Car on the Saltflats of California, can go faster than that. With the a ability to go fly faster, fighters and bombers will get more streamlined and eliminate tri and bi wing aircraft, going straight to monoplane stage.

Now for weapons that reverse engineering makes available...

suit

Post by suit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:56 pm

The ultimate goal is to use an captured Heat Ray, still to run and maintain it, is another bigger thing/problem. Perhaps a smaller version, less powerful version could be mounted on a fighter, even going against a Tripod Walker it might be a mere annoyance. Now if an entire squadron was to go against a Tripod Walker, they could overwhelmingly take it out.

Also for strafing run against Martian logistic areas, bases, land and sea forces, would force the invaders to built up A.A. Defense. Thus less Tripod Walkers are in use for combat, they are stuck in a static defensive mode,

Let’s not forget the bombers and armored Zeppelins...