Carrier Strike:

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
elbowsanchez

Carrier Strike:

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 pm

CARRIER STRIKE:

:idea: It would be another addition to the theatre editions.

:idea: Carrier battle on the high seas: Inspired by the basic "Carrier Strike" game. In short you had control of 2 carriers and 8 torpedo planes. You could either move the carrier, or move your fighters per turn. The goal was either shoot down all the aircraft with your aircraft buy using dog fight cards or to sink the other guys carrier with your torpedo bomber. The board was large and hex's were also to large for scale, but it was fun and captured the intensity of this kind of warfare. Simple concept lots of fun. I'd like to see this concept taken one step further and think it is perfect for Axis & Allies.

:idea: ... in short, WAS made to AA scale. Feature the CV's that were in the battle of Midway and perhaps incorperate supporting vessels. Include Dive Bombers, Torpeedo planes. Make an island an objective forcing player to defend transport ships or not in order to have overwhelming numbers while launching a carrier assault, but the main objective is to destroy the other persons carrier fleet. Launching torpedo's / positioning dive bombing runs with flack defenses upon approach, carriers moving to avoid the incoming frenzy. Man sounds exciting. I thought the perfect scale for the original carrier strike was 4 boards and 3-4 carriers each holding 4 torpedo bombers / fighter support. Perhaps Japan gets an extra carrier and US holds the island(s) at initial set up.

:idea: The complete board would have to be the similar size as AA:GLOBAL 72" x 33" and would be 6 to 8 double sided boards that fit together or the size of complete new AA:GLOBAL game . Flipping boards gives you different sea / island changes.

:idea: HEX or OCT or both, spaces where terrain can play a part with line of sight and movement obstacles. One unit per hex so hex's are small in size and there are lots of them (spaces). The board, double sided (similar to AAM booster maps but on cardboard like the AA:GC "base island boards).

:idea: Sell them as a set or sell them individually, meaning a "US FLEET" or a "JAPANESE FLEET" or heck even a "ADD-on Set" the booster sets could have additional board sections, island groups etc...

:idea: Make the playing pieces the same scale as the AA board games.
-The evil Bert & friend

Larry

Re: Carrier Strike:

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Comments noted

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 am

I think WOTC already made A&A Naval Minis

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah but the scale is wrong. I am suggesting using the scale of the board game units and not the scale they used for WAS (TOO LARGE). Especially given the maps they give you, and I am suggesting hex instead of square spaces. I want Axis and Allies with the board game scale so I can use them in multiple games. I will provide some type of mock set up so you can see what I am talking about.
-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

Carrier Strike: Units

Post by elbowsanchez » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Here are the Carriers available for use, using existing Axis & Allies products:

Japan:

USA:

No images posted at WotC of new Flank Speed WAS version. Would like to see the rest of the carriers represented in the two main instances they served.
-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

waiting for a few more goodies :)

You guys are telling me you have never played Milton Bradley's Carrier Strike? Man as a kid we gamed for hours on end.
-The evil Bert & friend

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 am

elbowsanchez wrote: You guys are telling me you have never played Milton Bradley's Carrier Strike? Man as a kid we gamed for hours on end.
I still have a copy of the game somewhere, but I think that a bunch of the parts are missing/broken. It survived the fire of my parents house that ended up ruining the boxes of many of my Gamemaster Series games.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 am

I thought I would try both the larger WAS minis as well as standard AA board game scale. My WAS fighters just came in and I am planning on getting some litko hex aircraft stands. I purchase a good sized 1" playmat. I've about 4 projects going on at once as usual.
-The evil Bert & friend